Should I cut out DS's afternoon bottle?

(9 Posts)
Rainydayzandmondays13 Fri 30-Sep-16 16:42:30

Hi everyone.

My baby (who is ff) has started taking less of his bottle on his afternoon feed. He usually has 180ml but recently will only drink about 100ml or so.
I was wondering if it's time to take him off the afternoon bottle? (He's 11 months on tuesday) If so what do I replace it with?
Thank you

Soubriquet Fri 30-Sep-16 16:44:02

No. He needs the milk until after he is 1

Rainydayzandmondays13 Fri 30-Sep-16 17:34:50

Ah thought so. Thank you smile

Caterina99 Fri 30-Sep-16 20:50:44

Around 11 months DS only had 2 bottles a day. One first thing and one at bed. During the day he had cows milk in a cup. By 11 months you can start cutting down the bottles if they are taking plenty of food

soundsystem Fri 30-Sep-16 21:15:11

He still needs milk until he's one but obviously it has to be a gradual switch to food, so it depends how much milk he drinks the rest of the time, and how much he eats. If he's getting enough milk from the other bottles combined, I'd be inclined to drop the bottle and replace with a snack and see how he goes. Or wait until he's one and replace with a beaker of cow's milk and a snack, maybe?

Rainydayzandmondays13 Fri 30-Sep-16 21:29:41

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing cos he does love his food grin Probably give him more in the way of a snack or something. Cos not only is he drinking less of that bottle but he can take forever to drink it too.

FuzzyOwl Fri 30-Sep-16 21:34:10

It depends how much milk he is having the rest of the day. If it totals more than 500ml, then it is fine to drop the afternoon bottle. At 11 months, he will be almost at the stage of leaving formula behind altogether.

Rainydayzandmondays13 Fri 30-Sep-16 21:56:20

Thank you for all of your replies. Some excellent advice.

I'm thinking for this next month to maybe slowly cut it down, make up the rest with a snack and hopefully by 12 months replace that one with cow's milk?

He eats plenty of solids, loves his food like I do lol, so he won't be deprived of anything in that sense. He just isn't as keen on his afternoon bottle as he used to be.

Caterina99 Sat 01-Oct-16 03:30:51

Once we stopped the formula at around 12/13 months DS went to breakfast lunch and dinner with 2 snacks. He has cold cows milk in a cup with each meal and water whenever he wants. We also did a bottle of warm cows milk before bed and just switched that to a cup recently (15 months)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now