Controlling screen time - how to explain?

(4 Posts)
Cakecrumbsinmybra Thu 29-Sep-16 14:27:26

I have 2 DS (9 and 5) - they can watch TV pretty much when they like because it's not an issue; they won't sit there for hours on end and there's only a few programmes they both like. Generally they'll drift off and do something else, unless we're watching a film. Playing on the computer, iPad or my phone (we don't have a wii or anything like that) is only allowed at weekends. Generally Friday after school for up to an hour and Sat/Sun mornings before breakfast. Sometimes later in the day if they ask.

We've made it weekends only as it's clearer for the 5 year old who would play games all the time if he could; therefore I don't have to keep saying no and can be consistent. We have clubs, homework, books etc in the week to keep them busy anyway. And generally I just don't want them on the computer that much, even though they do it together, because away from it they come up with all sorts of games to play.

DS1 has started mentioning that some of his friends go on their ipads "whenever they like", and every day (I know some kids exaggerate but I do know kids who play every day and don't need to ask). And he points out that these kids also play a lot of sport, are doing well at school, get their homework done, blah blah. And to be fair it's a really good argument and he's quite possibly right! That doesn't change the fact that I want to keep it as a weekend thing for as long as I can, before they are squirrelled away in their bedrooms on their phones night after night.

Does anyone have any great justifications/reasonings I can use with him? He's a bright boy and understands things well. I just feel like I'm not being very articulate about it.

Believeitornot Thu 29-Sep-16 18:41:23

Screens are addictive and make it difficult to sleep if used to close to bedtime.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Thu 29-Sep-16 18:51:38

Screen time turns your brain to cheese and makes you boring, short-sighted, unfit and at greater risk of obesity. Watch the box if you want, kiddies, but don't come complaining when your brain turns to Wensleydale.

SleepyRoo Thu 29-Sep-16 18:59:46

Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive limited their kids screen time! Might interest him

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/23/screen-time-v-play-time-what-tech-leaders-wont-let-their-own-kids-do?0p19G=c

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now