Walking your children to school.

(22 Posts)
Kc1009 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:03:28

I wasn't sure where to post this. So hopefully this is the correct place. My daughter's just started primary school yay. Done the tears and all. Now im thinking winter. Her school is a 20-25 minute walk. Along quite a fast main road or a quiet road we have two choices. I also have a 3 year old who I know will mostly be in the pram. I am trying to walk to school everyday as I don't want to use the car. Can anyone suggest how I would keep my daughter dry on the walk to and from school. School attire would include waterproof school coat skirt and tights. But I'm still worried that she will get to wet on the walk. How do other parents do it.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance to any advice given.

HoggleIsMyFriend Sun 25-Sep-16 14:04:52

Lightweight waterproof trousers and a jacket with a good hood.

user1474792594 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:05:52

I used to buy all in one ski suits from outdoor shops for the worst of the winter.

RiverTam Sun 25-Sep-16 14:07:12

Umbrella and wellies. Decent jacket.

I dunno, we have a 15 minute walk and I find remember DD having ever got especially wet. But I'd probably bung a change into her bag (no uniform).

user1474792594 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:07:48

Wellies for sure. There's nothing worse than wet feet all day.

Kc1009 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:17:56

I've got the wellies in hand is we walk the dog to school in the mornings so wellies are an essential.

All in one suites. Never thought of those thought she was a bit old for one of those now. Will have a look.

We used a umbrella the other day. Trying to walk out of school with Hayley (daughter) holding an umbrella omg the amount of parents that tutted at her was unbelievable. Felt like slapping every single one of them. Then the umbrella broke because of the wind. Ha ha epic fail that was.

I thought about waterproof trousers but thought the skirt would get ruined and would be uncomfortable for her to walk in it.

Ausernotanumber Sun 25-Sep-16 14:19:18

Put the skirt in her bag and pop it on once she gets to school.

pickledparsnip Sun 25-Sep-16 14:23:20

We have a 15/20 minute walk and definitely agree about wellies! My boy also has waterproof dungarees as well as a long coat.

Flowerpower1403 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:23:45

Just put baggy trousers and baggy jumper over the top then take them of when you get to school hope this helps.

AmeliaJack Sun 25-Sep-16 14:24:02

Waterproof trousers, either just tuck skirt carefully in or buy her trousers for the winter (assuming school allows them.

Can recommend Didrikson coats for keeping both warm and dry. They are expensive but you can get them with an extendable seam hidden in the sleeve - the last ones we had lasted the kids 3 years.

Kc1009 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:28:44

Thank you everyone. Sadly she can only wear a logo coat. Although I suppose it doesn't stop me taking it off before she gets there. I just keep getting told to use the car and I don't want to because I think it's healthier and better to walk. God I know I need the exercise.

I will look into your recommendations thank you.

GettingScaredNow Sun 25-Sep-16 14:29:43

If that's your daughters real name I would ask MNHQ to amend that to 'Dd' (dear daughter)

I would also do water proof trousers. And skirt in bag.
We had pouring rain on the first week of Dd going to school (she just started too!) our walk is 5 mins really and she got soaked that day. School had top it her in spares and tumble dry her uniform. And she was in wellies and her coat with umbrella!

5moreminutes Sun 25-Sep-16 14:34:01

Take her school coat in a bag and let her wear big size waterproof trousers and a different coat, then she doesn't have a wet coat before school even starts. Can't see why waterproof trousers would ruin the coat?

If she is only 4 or 5 she isn't too old for waterproof trousers - she is really little still! By 8 or 9 yes, she will feel silly and you'd be wise to pay attention if she is self concious, but 4 year olds should still be jumping in puddles and making mud pies, water proof trousers still appropriate!

5moreminutes Sun 25-Sep-16 14:35:34

Can't see why waterproof trousers would ruin the skirt sorry, not coat.

Skirts are so silly and impractical for little kids, but I suppose she isn't allowed to wear trousers, or none of the girls do?

Natsku Sun 25-Sep-16 14:35:58

Waterproof trousers and wellies for sure. I live in Finland so can expect near constant rain for the next month or two before the snow comes so DD wears waterproof/windproof jacket and trousers and wellies for the trip to nursery and will do for school until the 'cool' aspect kicks in about 11 years old and they refuse to wear the trousers and shiver on their way to school!

RiverTam Sun 25-Sep-16 17:05:58

Honestly? I would tell the school that you are teaching your DD the very valuable life lesson that anyone can walk to school whatever the weather with the right kit and therefore she will be wearing a proper waterproof coat. And that she will be wearing trousers if they are more practical. And that they can take you to court if they like (assuming it's a state school).

I can't stand this nonsense about uniform.

NattyTile Sun 25-Sep-16 17:09:56

Waterproof coat over the top of the logo coat. Big long one which comes down to her knees. Then wellies and thick socks.

Change into school shoes on arrival, hang wellies, boot socks and giant mac on peg.

T0ddlerSlave Sun 25-Sep-16 17:14:56

I love the idea of a giant mac down to her knees!

DavenotChas Sun 25-Sep-16 17:17:54

Would something like this all in one suit work? It would go over her school jacket and you could stow it under the buggy for rain emergencies?

DavenotChas Sun 25-Sep-16 17:19:50

^^ I'm pretty sure they do a black or navy version if you're sick of the sight of bubblegum pink wink

BertPuttocks Sun 25-Sep-16 17:23:02

If you don't like the idea of waterproof trousers then what about a long waterproof poncho to go over her school coat and most of her legs?

It would be easy to take off when she gets to school.

Kc1009 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:30:38

Thank you. Think I will look into an all in one suit. Or a poncho I like that idea. That all in one suite looks good Davenotchas I just assumed they all came with loads of padding in. Like when I bought the ones when they were babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now