Crying whilst bf- four month old

(8 Posts)
user1473851570 Thu 22-Sep-16 10:13:30

My four month has recently started crying as soon as put on the breast to feed. I'm guessing it's to do with his growth spurt but also hasn't had a poo for two days. Any ideas?

Savannah13nbump Thu 22-Sep-16 16:07:30

Although I'm not bf I'm assuming he is constipated my ff ds will refuse his food even if he is hungry if he needs to poo, only so much room in his stomach, in would contact gp if he still hasn't pood two days is a long time not to go for a baby

user1473851570 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:04:15

I thought so too, but apparently for bf babies it's not that uncommon because they use it all, which would coincide with the growth spurt. Hmmm...

ODog Thu 22-Sep-16 21:52:14

Constipation in bf babies is very rare. More likely to do with a weird development leap thing. My 4mo does it sometimes and I find standing up and rocking while I feed helps.

KateBeckett Thu 22-Sep-16 22:12:29

A bf baby can go up to 10 days without a poo and not be constipated. I imagine growth spurt/ development leap. Sounds frustrating, I hope it passes soon for you both!

Pipsicola Fri 23-Sep-16 08:14:07

Does his crying stop when your milk comes? Sometimes it takes a good 30 secs for my let down and my LO gets upset as she wants instant milk. Usually associated with a period of her being super hungry/growth spurt as not her norm.

ChipIn Fri 23-Sep-16 09:33:31

At around 5 months my DD also started getting upset and fussy on the boob. Turns out it was the start of teething. As soon as it broke through the gum she was back to normal. Hopefully just a short phase for you.

user1473851570 Fri 23-Sep-16 18:32:52

Thanks everyone, I didn't think to try feeding whilst rocking or that it could be teething. Sounds like something that we'll just have to get through although he hasn't been too bad today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now