Should I still be giving my 3.7 yo milk?

(14 Posts)
ShatterResistant Tue 20-Sep-16 21:13:12

My DD still has full-fat milk morning and night, I'd say about 200ml a day in all. She loves it- guzzles it down and always asks for it if I don't offer. She eats an "everything in moderation" diet apart from that- meat, loads of raw/steamed veg, a few sweets or crisps no more than once a day. I think it's pretty healthy, but I would say that.

Thing is, she's quite heavy. Not fat, but big-boned; a bit like me. I've never been fat, but I've never been properly slim either.

But I went shopping for her today, and I found the best clothes, the ones with growing room, were aged 5-6. That bothered me a bit. I mean, they are huge on her, but the 4-5 wouldn't have lasted a month.

Should I be worried? Should I cut out the milk? (I don't know how much she weighs because we don't have a set of scales...)

TeaBelle Tue 20-Sep-16 21:14:56

Could you change her to semi-skimmedsemi-skimmed. I believe current guidance says that it's fine in most cases to switch at 2

Paulat2112 Tue 20-Sep-16 21:19:23

Your health visitor might be able to weigh her for you, could be worth keeping an eye on her weight.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 20-Sep-16 21:22:47

There's 61 calories in a glass of milk. ( I just googled)

Milk is fine.

StubbleTurnips Tue 20-Sep-16 21:23:16

Shatter sounds like our DD. She's on semi skimmed morning and night now from a small beaker. And is also in 5+ clothes (she's 3.5), but she is tall and currently stands at 106cm. The HV doesn't seem overly concerned (we took her as I was worried about her being too heavy) as she's active all day, and eats a good variety of food.

We are a family of very tall women so she's looking like she'll follow that trend.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 20-Sep-16 21:23:38

I'd be more tempted to cut down on things like biscuits and cakes, if she has those, before cutting down on milk.

uhoh2016 Tue 20-Sep-16 21:24:22

Is she tall for her age? My 2 boys are 6 and 9 and Wear 7-8 & 11-12 clothes they're both thin/athletic (muscley) but very tall for their age groups.
I wouldn't particularly worry about sizes too much especially when some shops/brands have different sizes to others.
If you think she's overweight then as PP suggested offer semi skimmed milk instead and try up her exercise

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 20-Sep-16 21:24:31

That's roughly the same as an apple and you wouldn't be concerned about giving a child an apple.

ThinkPinkStink Tue 20-Sep-16 21:27:01

Sweets/crisps (even if no more than once a day) sounds like a lot to me - probably far more calories and far less nutritional value than milk.

Could she be migrated to alternatives like fresh/dried fruits, oatcakes -and similar? Still pretty sweet/crunchy/calorific, but backed-up by: vitamins/fibre etc.

Mycraneisfixed Tue 20-Sep-16 21:27:23

Children should have full fat milk. If she enjoys her milk let her get on with it.

tiffanysfanny Tue 20-Sep-16 21:31:49

Milk will be the last thing I would cut out of her diet. Am sure there are other things.

You should definitely take her height into consideration.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 20-Sep-16 21:32:44

full fat milk is full of vitamins. Don't cut that out of her diet. She may well be fine, check her height and weight, don't make it an issue with her and if she is overweight then have a good think about what you might be able to cut out. I hate this obsession with kids being too fat and worry it could give them issues with food in the future. (like my goodself and my anorexic mother)

SnotGoblin Tue 20-Sep-16 21:38:23

I'd target the daily sweets/crisps before going for the milk. Does she drink water as well or only full fat milk?

ShatterResistant Tue 20-Sep-16 21:50:23

She is pretty tall - 104cm - taller than most of the girls her age we know. And yes, I really don't want to make an issue of her weight with her. One was made of mine from when I was small, and I feel it sometimes. And when I said sweets or crisps no more than once a day, I didn't mean every day- she has a morning snack and an afternoon snack, and much of the time it's raisins or a carrot. As I say, it's not a PERFECT diet, but I'd call it "moderate". She also drinks a lot of water- constantly weeing!

I might take her to a weigh-in - that's a good idea. She loves all things optician/hairdresser etc, so she's bound to enjoy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now