Mongolian blue spot

(15 Posts)
mischadee Mon 19-Sep-16 11:38:20

My 10 month old daughter has a Mongolian blue spot on her back and it's covered in thick hair like her head hair
The doctor said it's nothing to worry about because she's had it from birth but I'm still worried because of the amount of hair on it .. I've not seen another one covered in hair like hers and I'm concerned it's not a blue spot ... I don't know if I'm being silly

drspouse Mon 19-Sep-16 11:57:29

One of my DC had two of these (my DC are adopted and birth father race was uncertain at birth but this helped!) but I have not heard of them being hairy.

Could it be a mole? they are hairy sometimes.

I assume your DD is not white? Do you think the doctor doesn't know what moles look like on non-white skin?

minipie Mon 19-Sep-16 12:11:05

Is it near the spine, especially base of the spine? Does she have a sacral dimple?

mischadee Mon 19-Sep-16 12:13:51

She is white that's why it's a bit more confusing the health visitor has asked if theres any mixed race in our family but there's non :/ .. it's like a smudge a couple of inches big on the left side of her back

notaflyingmonkey Mon 19-Sep-16 12:15:53

My son had one at birth at the base of his spine (although not hairy). It was the size of an adult hand, and actually looked like a bruise from a smack. It got smaller and faded as he got older though.

minipie Mon 19-Sep-16 12:20:50

Sounds possibly more like a congenital nevus than a blue spot? How "blue" is it?

If it's near base of spine and she has a dimple then worth getting it checked out further

minipie Mon 19-Sep-16 12:22:15

notaflying DD also has one like that - purple, looks like a bruise from a smack. Not hairy though. She's 4 and it's still there. May I ask, how old was your DS when it faded?

AnecdotallyChallenged Mon 19-Sep-16 12:26:33

DP and I both white British and our DTs had Mongolian blue spots all over bums and backs. They're eight now and still have them on the top of their bums. Absolutely no abnormal hair on them though.

When I did the research (so I could show babysitters what it was) it said white Europeans have it at a rate of 1% - so unusual but not unheard of.

I was quite shocked when they were born as I'd never seen them ;-)

drspouse Mon 19-Sep-16 12:42:31

I think it's a bit higher than 1% actually Anecdotally so actually not unheard of by any means this link says less than 10% but not sure exactly how many!

Our DC's first one faded by 1 but the other one is still there (aged 2) and they "generally" fade by 4 but not always.

mischadee Mon 19-Sep-16 14:44:20

The doctor said it should fade and the hair should disappear (this was when she as 10 weeks) but its getting more hairy ... it's more toward her hip than her spine and it's a soft blue/ purple until shes cold/in the bath then it goes more purple

wtafamidoinginlife Mon 19-Sep-16 14:47:37

Sounds more like a birth mark than a Mongolian blue spot. The fact that it not over the spine is reassuring. However, if your are concerned, kindly ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist for a second expert opinion

maradesbois Mon 19-Sep-16 14:47:57

Op, I have a dc with Mongolian blue spot on back, we are white European which doc said was rare but not unusually so. No hair though. It hasn't faded with age, still looks like a light bruise.

notaflyingmonkey Mon 19-Sep-16 18:59:02

Hi minipie I can't remember, but it had certainly shrunk and faded by the time I stopped seeing his bum regularly (getting out of baths etc), I suppose around 7/8 years? (He is now over 6 foot and hairy, so I hope not to be seeing his bum again).

But it concerned me enough at the time that I had the paed write in his red book what it was, so that people didn't think he was getting beaten if they were changing his nappy at nursery, or at swimming or something like that.

minipie Mon 19-Sep-16 20:04:23

Thanks not. Yes I keep meaning to take some pics of DD's so I can show it's always been there if we are ever questioned!

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Mon 19-Sep-16 20:15:09

They usually fade by about age four. Sometimes they don't fade but most do. They're where neural crest derived cells have migrated incorrectly, so you get a lot of pigment bearing cells in one place in the skin. If it is Mongolian spot it's nothing to worry about unless accompanied by spina bifida signs (which you don't seem to have.)

Definitely worth taking a few pictures of it with a ruler next to it to check it doesn't change size or shape (it shouldn't if it is Mongolian spot.)

But...Is he sure it's a Mongolian spot? They aren't normally hairy - can you push for a dermatologist to have a look just to check it out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now