5 day old baby poo

(8 Posts)
spacepoodle Sat 17-Sep-16 21:55:54

DS is 5 days old. I managed to breastfeed for the first 3 days but made the decision to stop yesterday after being in so much pain - he stopped latching on properly which was resulting in both of us being extremely distressed.

DS has been on formula since. We are using infacol to prevent wind on the recommendation of friends. He is still very windy and has not done a poo since about 1am this morning. I know that doesn't sound like a long time but he has gone from pooing 6-7 times a day to this. Is this normal at this stage? Is it a result of changing to formula? I'm worried he's constipated and in pain.

celeryeater Sat 17-Sep-16 21:57:33

Probably from changing to formula, it takes them a while to adjust. Does he seem uncomfortable or unsettled?

spacepoodle Sat 17-Sep-16 22:10:17

He seems uncomfortable just after feeding. It's difficult to get his wind up, we manage a few burps but he is still pulling windy faces - he did do this a little when breastfed though! Once he sleeps he sleeps quite well. I feel guilty enough about not breastfeeding already and knowing I've probably caused his discomfort is making it worse! Obviously my hormones are not helping!

NickMarlow Sat 17-Sep-16 22:23:22

Don't know about the poo/constipation, but day 5 hormones are horrible so please be gentle with yourself. No need to feel guilty about how you feed your baby. My 3 closest friends all had babies at similar times to me. 2 of the babies were formula fed, one mix fed, and one ebf for 6 months and then mix fed. All four toddlers are thriving and there would be no way of telling how they were fed.

Look after yourself, it will get easier as the hormones settle down.

celeryeater Sat 17-Sep-16 22:41:44

It doesn't sound like his behaviour has changed dramatically then, and he isn't in any extra discomfort. It's probably your hormones and (unnecessary) guilt making you worry extra! Tomorrow he will probably have a big blow out and cover everything grin

spacepoodle Sat 17-Sep-16 23:09:02

Thank you both for your reassurance. It's such a scary time, everything is new for all of us and we're completely overwhelmed. Day 5 hormones are very much alive and well.

celery in a strange way I hope you're right about that blow out!

LondonStill83 Sat 17-Sep-16 23:52:42

Just a show of solidarity here OP- am day 7 and our little one is in NICU, and my hormones are going crazy convincing me I will do something wrong when he gets home and he will die from cot death or overheat or any other tragedy...

It's awful isn't it?? The love is crazy.

ODog Sun 18-Sep-16 20:54:56

Less frequent poo is probably from the switch to formula as bm is a natural laxative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now