New baby - practical advice you wish you'd been told

(128 Posts)
WooWoo1000 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:33:29

Have just read the post on here about whether babies should be wearing outfits or not, and 15 weeks in I wish someone had told me that the only things you'll actually be bothered to dress your baby in is button down sleep suits/ babygrows. Anything else is just a faff - dresses that end up round thier faces when breastfeeding, babygrows that only popper at the bottom (baby screams when try to squeeze over head), tights that roll down all the time. So what else have people discovered after having their babies that is really useful but wasnt given as advice beforehand?

idontlikealdi Fri 16-Sep-16 22:35:04

Envelope neck vests are designed to be pulled down the body Ina poonami event. No need to be cutting off with scissors or spreading poo in hair / face.

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Sep-16 22:37:18

A good soak in Napisan shifts most stains. 8 years later I've got a bucket full of grubby white school shirts soaking!

Glitterkitten24 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:38:15

idont that's exactly what i came on here to say!wink

I was most put out when I discovered this when dc1 was about a year old- a whole year of rolling shitty vests up over the head could have been avoided!

PotatoBread Fri 16-Sep-16 22:38:24

Don't bother buying a nappy bin never been used

Nowthereistwo Fri 16-Sep-16 22:39:26

If bf and want to introduce a bottle (for optional feeds) - then do it 3-4 weeks old not 8wks plus.

SleepFreeZone Fri 16-Sep-16 22:40:56

Get the sleep suits with integrated scratch mitts. If you have family who want to help make it clear what you want them to do. My mother used to travel up to me,plonk herself on the sofa and let me make tea/talk to her. All I wanted was her to come over and take the baby so I could sleep. I was dead on my feet.

WooWoo1000 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:42:57

Concur with all of the above!

Another clothing based one...when buying second hand clothes go a size up as they will have inevitably shrunk a bit, especially things like happy nappies and wet suits.

SleepFreeZone Fri 16-Sep-16 22:43:11

Buy things second hand as they will grow out of most things really quickly. What you do buy new, keep the boxes as they sell better in the original packaging. Buy a dark coloured pram.

TeaAddict235 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:49:31

make as much noise as possible around the house so that they become used to noise, and you don't end up watching tv with the subtitles on and the sound off...like us

mellowyellow1 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:53:57

Never wake a sleeping baby!

SpinALittleFaster Fri 16-Sep-16 22:54:50

The sun bleaches out most stains. I was told this fairly early on and didn't buy stain remover until we were well in to weaning and DD got banana everywhere.
Do everything you can to prevent getting banana on stuff you like because it doesn't come out easily.

SleepFreeZone Fri 16-Sep-16 22:56:26

My friend recently gave me a great tip. Rub vanish bar all over the stain and then put it in the sun. The accelerates the stain removal and I've found it works brilliantly.

switswoo81 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:56:28

Take any offers of hand me downs. Got given a bumbo that baby tried to climb out, would have been a total waste of money. Most items in the first year are used for a very short period of time, baby bath, jumperoo, wetsuit for pool etc etc
Saved my money for the big ticket items that will hopefully last a couple of children.

WigelsPigels Fri 16-Sep-16 22:57:47

Mine lives in baby grows. We never bothered with a nursery. It would have never been used.

Normandy144 Fri 16-Sep-16 23:04:36

Always make sure you pull out the ruffled edges of a nappy. Otherwise leak city!

LadyHarvey Fri 16-Sep-16 23:05:49

Always pull the frills out from the nappies. Tucked in frills can lead to big messes confused

WooWoo1000 Sat 17-Sep-16 02:02:22

Don't bother with a changing mat, just use an old folded towel...if they wee on a plastic mat mid-change it will have nothing to soak into and therefore will be up their back and in their hair in seconds. With an old town you can just shove it straight in the wash. A towel is more likely to save your carpet / nappy station too as most matts allow the wee to just run off the edge.

Sierra259 Sat 17-Sep-16 02:11:29

The 3 hourly feed timing is bollocks for most bf babies. They seem to need feeding all the fucking time little and often in the early months. As someone on MN once said "if it squeaks, stick a boob in it" - made my life so much more bearable with DC2, even if I had a baby attached to me for most of the first 4 months!

Rubytuesday2980 Sat 17-Sep-16 02:13:59

FFS, 10 weeks of poo over head that could've been avoided!
idont & glitter why oh why has nobody told me this before?!

DancingDinosaur Sat 17-Sep-16 02:14:59

Don't change every nappy esp during the night that just has a wee in it. (Maybe that was just me who did that!!)

WooWoo1000 Sat 17-Sep-16 02:18:08

If planning on more than one child buy 'neutral' colours and themes so the item can be passed down e.g green bumbo rather than pink, woodland themed bouncy chair rather than flower-themed.

If you're having a baby shower / know someone will be buying present for the baby try and steer them away from cuddly toys, otherwise you'll end up with a mountain of dust collectors that the baby will just suck at.

Don't bother buying baby oils and shampoos, they don't actually need any of it.

Don't buy shoes...they can't walk! Why o why do shops sell them!?

Blerg Sat 17-Sep-16 02:31:26

Lots of babies need sleep after they've been awake 90 minutes, or multiples thereof as they get older. Otherwise get overtired and harder to settle. See The 90 MinutevSkeep Solution.

In total contrariness to the above don't read all the Mathis baby books like Baby Whisperer etc - they won't fit all babies and can drive yourself mad trying to get them to work. Your baby hasn't read the book, as is often said here.

The sleeping lion hold is often worth a try with small babies.

Lots of babies can't cope with dairy in your diet if BF. If they are screamy, in pain and throwing up, worth looking into cows milk protein allergy.

And pre birth, read about Optimal Fetal Positioning - really helped with my second birth.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 17-Sep-16 02:31:32

WooWoo I recommend combining the two.
A thin towel on top of a standard changing mat soaks up any disasters, protects your flooring and is less of a shock for snuggly warm bare skin.

Blerg Sat 17-Sep-16 02:31:48

* Minute Sleep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now