Advice about parenting

(3 Posts)
user1473278728 Fri 16-Sep-16 20:45:10

Hi, I'm new to this. I have a 4.5 year old daughter and am expecting another. My daughter has always been a mummy's girl - probably because my husband worked long hours and also isn't very involved when it came to parenting (for example he didn't get down and play with her when she was little and when he came home he was more keen to relax on his own than spend time getting her ready for bed) . Now she's older she does try and make an effort to interact with my hubby but I get the impression hubby only wants to interact on his own terms. This is really frustrating for me because it means my daughter feels like her needs are not getting met and constantly comes back to me. I'm worried it's going to be really hard for me to manage when the next baby comes. I've been trying to ask them to do things together and hubby tries a bit but quite often my daughter says no to him (because he will only do it the way he wants to and hasn't figured out how to distract her/make doing boring things seem fun and he expects her to do everything by herself - eg I asked him to supervise her brushing her teeth and he just gives her the tooth brush and walks off)

I know it must be hard for him that she doesn't listen to him and it must be hard for my daughter to be told what to do when she is used to much more interaction.

I don't think I spoil her. She is generally very obedient with me - puts her clothes in the washing basket/plates in the dishwasher after eating etc

So I'm looking for advice about how to make things easier between my daughter and hubby. I've tried to leave them alone for the morning once a week but still no changes in their relationship and usually lots of protesting if I go out of the house!

minipie Fri 16-Sep-16 21:50:22

He's not being a parent.

Does he think he's a good parent? Ask him what he thinks a good father does when they're at home with their child.

user1473278728 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:26:05

Hi minipie, I think he tries but she doesn't seem to get on with him so he gives up easily and doesn't like to listen or seek advice

He keeps telling me I'm not the perfect parent so I shouldn't be telling him what to do

We have our own issues too aside from parenting so I guess that doesn't help and this currently pregnancy was unplanned

He's trying more now a days than ever but it's hard to get my daughter to spend time with him before coming back to find me (usually she comes to report what daddy has or hasn't done!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now