Potty training. Am I on the right track?

(3 Posts)
KitKat1985 Thu 15-Sep-16 13:34:41

So I've got a few days leave from work and was thinking it might be sensible (since we've got nothing major planned) to use this as a first opportunity to try and potty train 2-year old DD.

However, short of praying to the potty gods, I have no idea what I'm doing! I have bought some pottys (obviously) but have had mixed advice on things like pull-ups etc.

At the moment I'm thinking:

1) Let DD spend most of tomorrow in the garden with no nappy on and try and encourage her to sit on the potty as much as possible in the hope she eventually uses it (using books, colouring, and phone apps as bribery to stay seated). Obviously the point of being in the garden is it's less of an issue if she pees / poos on the grass (although I accept my poor carpet is going to face some accidents). I'm lucky in that the weather here (South-East) is lovely right now so I don't have to worry about her getting cold.

2) Whoop with the enthusiasm of an drunken football fan if she manages to pee / poo on the potty and ply her with biscuits / juice / raisins as a reward.

3) Hope she gets the idea from the above.

I was planning to leave a nappy on her when she has a nap as clearly she's not going to master bladder control when asleep for a bit yet.

I also figure, and have been advised, that if after 3 days she hasn't got it at all to give up for a few weeks and try and again then.

Am I on the right track here?

ODog Thu 15-Sep-16 15:06:23

Firstly it's meant to rain in the south east tomorrow. So sorry to (pardon the pun) dampen your spirits.

I have just sort of trained my 2.3yo. Basically I et him be naked all summer on the garden with a potty available and he just started doing it one day. He did struggle wth the concept of using a potty when he had pants on. I think the waistband reminded him of a nappy. A few days in pull ups did the trick and now he is dry in pants. No bribery/stickers/rewards required. Also no staying in for days on end or stress about it.

He also started being dry for naps and dry at night at the same time.

Is you DD showing signs of readiness? Otherwise I wouldn't bother. Id enjoy your time off now and try when she is ready.

KitKat1985 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:42:52

Oh fiddlesticks. I've just realised it's due to rain tomorrow. Maybe I'll hang fire until Saturday then when it's supposed to be dry.

I'm not sure about signs of readiness exactly. She knows what a potty is (so if I ask her where the potty is she'll go and point at it / sit on it) and has also recently started 'holding herself' at times that I believe that she's weeing in her nappy, so I think she's developing some level of awareness of when she's needing the loo. Do those sound like meaningful signs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now