Nearly 4 year old hitting me

(4 Posts)
ScrumpyBetty Tue 13-Sep-16 21:02:09

DS will be 4 in December. I am at my wits end with him hitting out at me every time he gets angry, or I say no to him.

Have tried talking to him ' hitting makes mummy sad, it isn't nice' etc. I have tried putting him in a calm down space until he apologies. I now use time out which involves putting him in his room and shutting the door, leaving him for a few minutes until I return for a chat and an apology from him.

Nothing is working and I don't know what else to try. For information, I work 3 days a week, DS goes to nursery for 2 and spends the other day with my mum. He is an only child. I try to spend lots of time with him- we read stories, go on outings, build dens, I play with him, have play dates with friends, all the usual. I really do try and make sure he feels loved. What am I doing wrong?

BoaConstrictor Tue 13-Sep-16 21:08:56

DS both hit me & spat at me for a couple of months at that age. He just did it to me, not DP. Like you, I worked 3 days a week & DS was at nursery for those three days. I checked he wasn't behaving like it at nursery & they were amazed to hear of his behaviour at home & told me some children did hit & spit at nursery. As you're doing, I was very calm & just took DS to his room, the corner of the park, out of the shop etc and told him we don't hit/spit & made the next few minutes really boring. We got there! I think it was just him trying out behaviours & seeing what it felt like & what happened. He chose me as the victim as he felt most secure with me.

ScrumpyBetty Tue 13-Sep-16 21:34:29

Thanks Boa, that's reassuring. He gets so angry when things don't go his way and I don't know how to help him manage his anger. Like yours, my DS is good as gold at nursery, it's just me he hits out at!

BoaConstrictor Tue 13-Sep-16 22:42:24

DD also went through a hitting, foot stamping phase. With her, it was a bit later (about 4.5 - 5yrs) and it was less experimentation, more actual anger. She had spent the whole day being an angel at school & was just ready to explode when she got home. If she hadn't already exploded, she got sent out on the trampoline to try & jump her anger & frustration off; if she did (or had) exploded, she was sent to her room & told she could hit her pillow & big teddies (she had two which weren't much smaller than she was). She was just full of rage and needed a release. This was usually followed by floods of tears, a long cuddle and a sob story and all of the injustices that had happened at school that day (she wanted to use a pink pencil but someone else did, she should have been first in the line but someone pushed in & the teacher didn't see & other major issues!). We referred to this as her being in a "muddle" as she just didn't know what to do with herself. I never got cross with her as I almost felt she couldn't help herself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now