Dealing with 7 month old gravitating towards 4 year olds toys

(6 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Thu 08-Sep-16 09:36:35

Just how do you deal with this safety wise? I have gone through everything that I can that's obvious in terms of small parts and put it away. But he has all these vehicles that have parts that look to me that they could break off with little effort 😁

In light of the tragic case on TV this week where the 9 month old choked on a small piece of plastic, I feel even more paranoid about it but equally the 4 year old does have the right to play with others his toys.

Do I need to just accept I have to watch the baby's every move or should I be trying to put this stuff out of reach?

Pinkbabe1 Thu 08-Sep-16 11:13:13

I have the same problem as you! 3 year old daughter that has lots of barbies won't small parts and my 11 month old constantly wants to play with her. The amount of times he's put a small plastic shoe in his mouth and I've had to get it out!! I try to keep the 3 year olds toys in a different room to the 11 month olds but sometimes it doesn't work, just need to have eyes in the back of your head!!

SleepFreeZone Thu 08-Sep-16 13:10:37

Oh god that sounds quite scary! At least I don't have small Barbie accessories to worry about!

lovelyredwine Thu 08-Sep-16 13:17:05

I have this problem too as I have an 11 month old and a 5 year old. I get the 5 year old to play with playmobil etc at the kitchen table whilst I'm making tea etc unless the baby is in bed. If dd2 is sleeping we play with it wherever, but I'm quite strict about it being put away or moved to the table when she gets up. Dd2 is starting to explore things with her hands first rather than everything going straight into her mouth. Hoping this means we can calm down a bit in terms of tiny toys in a year or so!

NapQueen Thu 08-Sep-16 13:19:06

Dd knows if she wants nom baby friendly toys out she can either play with them at the table or take them into either her or my bedroom. I don't like having to restrict her but safety first. And it's really not for long. DS is now nearly 2 and he plays nice and safely with Playmobil now so she can play on the floor of she wants now.

KatyN Sat 10-Sep-16 08:29:33

I have been gathering advice from friends about this as I have a 4 year old and an 8 month old. One friend just packed up everything small when the baby was awake but that seemed like high risk incase they missed something. Another had a strict table rule for all small toys. I am planning to allow small things in his bedroom (and make it off limits to his little sister-I might even put a gate on the door that he can open) and getting a playpen. I'll try and share who goes in there!! So sometimes she is and he has free reign with the toys and other times he is with his small toys.
She doesn't move yet but it fills me with horror when she starts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now