Been a complete tit with my tits!

(6 Posts)
CobsAhoy Sun 04-Sep-16 11:00:35

I've no one to blame but myself for this, but I am currently feeling pretty bloody sorry for myself sad

I was busy at work the other day so didn't get a chance to express any milk, lo and behold I woke up in the middle of the night last night with mastitis. After a trip to the walk in centre this morning I have been advised to try and unblock the duct for about 24 hrs and if the symptoms don't improve I can start a course of ABs. so after getting home I have put a hot flannel on the boob in question, however the flannel was stupidly hot and I've now burnt my tit. I am a sleep deprived, mastitis ridden mess, and can no longer tell if my stupid boob is hurting because of the mastitis or the burn.

Sorry, needed to vent because misery loves company and my husband is quite frankly sick of hearing about my boobs (.)(.) sad

DesignedForLife Sun 04-Sep-16 13:29:24

Owch! Do you have anything like this: www.superdrug.com/Lansinoh/Lansinoh-Therapearl-3-in-1-Breast-Therapy/p/723760?gclid=CInBwaTb9c4CFcKVGwodMfQK1g&gclsrc=aw.ds

HonkHonkNose Sun 04-Sep-16 13:49:23

Oh no! Sorry I did lol a bit about the burnt tit!

Ok I was a bit of a pro at dealing with mastitis as I've had it 4 times now. Still bf dd who's 2.2 and woke up with a sore tit last weekend after missing a night feed on right side and then sleeping weird so must've blocked the milk flow.

What I'd do is get in the shower, quite hot but don't burn your tit again grin and quite firmly massage the lump, and then move your hand/fingers towards your nipple, in effect pushing the milk out. Express the milk too but be mindful that it's supply and demand so only express enough to clear the blockage.

Also lots and lots of bf to get baby to get things moving through. This and a few hot showers while massaging and putting the shower head on the lump sorted my last one in a day and half my boob was red so it was quite bad. Bloody horrible and painful.

Have a look on your nipple as well to see if there's a tiny white spot (milk bleb). It's where milk blocks the pore and it backs up into your boobs, causing the mastitis. I only had one once and popped it with a sterile needle. Quite interesting what your body can do as milk started pouring out when I popped it.

Hope you get it sorted. Don't leave it too long before seeking medical advice if you can't shift it as you start feeling fluey and proper shit.

CobsAhoy Sun 04-Sep-16 17:36:53

Ah cheers honk unfortunately I'd already got to the fluey stage so started some ABs this afternoon.

4 times sounds like a killer! I had it when DD was a newborn coz my nipples were cracked shock but thought I had this shit down by now! Well that's the last time I let anything take priority over expressing milk at work!

eurochick Sun 04-Sep-16 17:40:24

I did that too. My boob peeled, adding beautifully to the flaccid leaky mess my body was at that point. The joys of motherhood.

CobsAhoy Sun 04-Sep-16 19:08:26

Oooh that looks good designed will see if I can find one tomorrow as I'm clearly too sleep deprived to manage hit flannels safely!

Ahhhh eurochick so glad I'm not alone! Solidarity comrade!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now