When did you put baby upstairs in the evening?

(51 Posts)
milkyman Thu 01-Sep-16 18:17:48

My dd is nearly five mths and still sleeps in lounge in the evening.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Thu 01-Sep-16 18:20:03

From birth. Both my children were in their own cots from the day they were born. I was never one for moses baskets and the like.

theladywiththelamp Thu 01-Sep-16 18:22:19

From the day we got home from hospital.
Best way IMO, got into routine early, got my evenings back, felt like a normal adult from 7pm every night!

confusedandemployed Thu 01-Sep-16 18:24:42

Yep from birth here too. She just never settled except in silence. And I'm a big advocate of bedtime routine.

youngestisapsycho Thu 01-Sep-16 18:26:02

Same here, from birth. Baby monitor downstairs.

BellaGoth Thu 01-Sep-16 18:26:09

I think DS was about 5 months when I started putting him upstairs and then pottering around the house. He was a shocking sleeper until at least a year so I was never far behind him at bedtime!

DD is only 3 weeks but so far shaping up to be a better sleeper, so we'll see!

foxessocks Thu 01-Sep-16 18:27:08

I think the advice is they should sleep where you are for naps as well as nighttime until six months. I used to put my dd to bed when we went because at that stage she did her longest stretch of sleep first . I was very happy when we got our evenings back but it isn't really that long in the scheme of things (I may eat my words I'm about to have my second!)

rubberducker Thu 01-Sep-16 18:29:40

With DC1 and 2, about 8 weeks. Currently have DC 3 and am going to introduce bedtime routine next week when he'll be 12 weeks.

Isittimeforwineyet Thu 01-Sep-16 18:32:52

I have a 4 1/2 month old LO. We got a monitor and put him upstairs about 2 weeks ago. No choice really, he'd grown out of his pram and was stirring when we brought him up. We've got a BT video monitor so can see what he's up to.

NerrSnerr Thu 01-Sep-16 18:33:43

We followed the SIDS guidelines and our daughter slept where we were until she was 6 months.

welshweasel Thu 01-Sep-16 18:36:28

10 weeks with a video monitor. Slept in our room when we went to bed though.

ODog Thu 01-Sep-16 19:28:23

Currently sat here with 3.5mo DD on my chest. I put DS up to bed as soon as be started going to sleep at a regular -ish time which was about 12wo I think. DD has been going to bed at around 7-8pm from about 8 wks but I enjoy the evening cuddles too much. Occasionally if I have to get up and so stuff I will put her in her Moses basket downstairs and bring it up when we go to bed.

barefootbird Thu 01-Sep-16 22:21:15

6 months, until then (and possibly a bit longer) we kept them downstairs with us as per the SIDS advice.

Every now and again I would see if I could go a whole evening with them on my lap asleep especially when they were very tiny.

KingscoteStaff Fri 02-Sep-16 19:17:58

Straight away - they both went down in their big cots in those grobag things.

1Potato2 Fri 02-Sep-16 19:55:09

6 weeks. We wanted our evening back and started a bedtime routine (10 weeks with dc1).

Poocatcherchampion Fri 02-Sep-16 20:02:31

About 5mo. Mine have never slept well wiry other things going on.

RoganJosh Fri 02-Sep-16 20:05:31

6 months as per SIDS guidelines for #1, later for the others as they would more happily sleep on us all evening. About eight months I think.

sunnydayinmay Fri 02-Sep-16 20:07:45

When he stopped screaming in the evening. About four months, I think.

CRazzyyAce Fri 02-Sep-16 20:11:52

From birth it was important to establish a routine they slept in our bedroom, until they put grew the Moses basket and went in the cot.

Heatherbell1978 Fri 02-Sep-16 20:12:29

We started his bedtime routine at around 6 weeks when we started putting him in our bedroom to sleep after bath. Meant we got our evenings back. Moved to his own room at night at 5 months. I'm pregnant with #2 and hoping to start that bedtime routine a bit quicker this time around.

LuchiMangsho Fri 02-Sep-16 20:14:10

From birth. But MIL came to help (she's bonkers but fab) so she would sit in the dark (to follow SIDS guidelines) while DH and I ate dinner and watched TV. And then she would come downstairs and I would go up and fall face first into bed. And then be woken umpteen times. Around 5 months or so we stopped having someone in the room. We had a bedtime routine from 2 weeks and it worked really well for us.

LadyintheRadiator Fri 02-Sep-16 20:14:58

Six months for SIDS guidelines for both. Actually probably later for DC1 as he slept more soundly on one of us. Both were fine with bedtime routines when older.

lapsedorienteerer Fri 02-Sep-16 20:16:03

asap smile

Mermaid36 Fri 02-Sep-16 20:18:41

Our 20 week old twins sleep downstairs in the evening - either in the downstairs cot, on us or in bouncy chairs. I'm breastfeeding, so tend to just pick them up, feed and bob them back down.

They come upstairs when we go, and just settle into their cot in our room.

n0ne Fri 02-Sep-16 20:21:05

From week 2 (I was sleeping in the living room the first week so she stayed there with me). We'd take her upstairs in the Moses basket and she slept in it in our room til 6 months. No baby monitor required as you could hear a spider fart in any part of the house from any other part of the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now