Little boy saying he has no friends

(3 Posts)
mrsbing1987 Tue 30-Aug-16 15:12:51

Hi guys, my soon to be 8 year old has his birthday in 3 weeks. He has been begging for a birthday party but I've directed his attention towards a holiday in London instead. He really wants to go see London and allowing him to go means he will have to challenge himself while he's there which is great.
Anyway as the return to school is getting closer he has been reminded about his lack of party and friends. I put him to bed last night and he asked me why nobody likes him. He asked me if the reason he can't have a party is because no one will come.
We did him a party a couple of years ago and only 5 kids turned up and he was really upset so we decided we wouldn't put him in that situation again. I don't know how to explain or show him that there are plenty of people out there that won't hold his autism against him and if people don't want to be his friend then that's their loss.

Daisyandbabies Tue 30-Aug-16 17:25:31

That's really harsh, I would have thrown him a party and spoke to the parents directly to make sure the whole class was going to come. I would try him in as many clubs as possible until he finds kids similar to himself to make friends with. Hope he has fun in London!

mrsbing1987 Tue 30-Aug-16 17:47:37

He will have parties in the future but this year was just not the right year. He's not long moved to a new school so I'm hoping by next year he will have made some more friends. The previous party was when he was at his old school. We did invite 30 kids and of the 5 that turned up 3 were from the same family. Loads of people replied saying they would come but just didn't turn up in the end. He's happy enough to go to London instead but as he's getting older he's more aware of others people's behavior. We do tend to do a party one year and a treat the next instead. Our daughter went away last year to London for a girly weekend with me and my mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now