Won't poo!

(11 Posts)
neawal Sat 27-Aug-16 04:15:22

Hi

Since Around 6 weeks Babh started pooing every 3-4 days then it went to 8 days!!!!i had to give her lactulose and a suppository as it had been so long. Since then I've tried eating more veg and fruit as she is mainly BF with one bottle formula at night. Last POO she did cry and it came out pasty rather tha. Dry.

Now she hadn't been in a week again and her trumps smell so bad - we tried cotton wool over bottom and she did open her bowels. It's like she is lazy and won't push???

And thoughts or advice please. Thanks!

GoldPlatedBacon Sat 27-Aug-16 12:39:25

I assume you've done the usual - prunes? Orange juice? I make a puree with stewed prunes and mix it in my dds Yoghurt and porridge.

Did you get the suppository and lactulose from gp or pharmacist? I'd go back to your gp.

GoldPlatedBacon Sat 27-Aug-16 12:40:40

Pressed too soon! I find my dd gets a 'splodge' poo around once a week since we started using lactulose. She always seems much happier once that has happened. She does however go every day, it's just very painful for her

T0ddlerSlave Sun 28-Aug-16 15:55:17

Weekly is in the normal range.

Marymaymay Sun 28-Aug-16 16:04:43

Nonono!!!

The formula has made it pasty!!!8 days is totally, totally fine unless she is in pain.

I'm really surprised anyone gave you lactulose or a suppository.

Is she gaining weight and lots of wet nappies?

PotteringAlong Sun 28-Aug-16 16:09:23

How old is she? Pooing once a week for a breastfed baby is not unusual.

neawal Sun 28-Aug-16 20:14:31

She has gone 8 days before without a POO. And very smelly trumping. It's like she just won't push it out!

happytocomply Sun 28-Aug-16 20:44:48

Upto a fortnight is within the normal range for a breastfed baby, because breastmilk is so efficiently absorbed so there is minimal waste. The formula might make it a bit harder for her to go. Constipation is not how frequently you go, as long as the texture is soft she is fine. I wouldn't think smelly farts signify anything much. Who gave her lactulose and suppositories, seems very full-on to prescribe for a newborn?

neawal Sun 28-Aug-16 21:20:08

GP states 7 days is the maximum for a BF baby. She gave lactulose which didn't do much tbh. We tried stroking cotton wool over her bottom which actually worked! So just not sure what's stopping her poo ing.

No she isn't constipated the poo is soft just that she doesn't go for days!

IwillrunIwillfly Sun 28-Aug-16 21:40:44

As long as shes not seeming like shes in pain and when she does go its soft and not a hard lump, she sounds fine. Like someone else said, bf babies can have longer gaps in between poos because its very well absorbed by the body.

chanel223 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:27:30

Try drinking babies magic tea or give your LO directly to ease her constipation. It's a lifesaver for my baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now