Moved house and my DD doesn't like it, please help or advise

(8 Posts)
Rachmumof4 Wed 24-Aug-16 08:57:26

A few months ago we moved home into a new home. Ever since my DD. 7, has been acting up- unusually grumpy and big on attitude.
She seems 'homesick' and doesn't want to accept our new home. She got to choose the colour of her new room and where things went. We have talked with about things and its made no difference. She seems determined to move back and that is impossible

Any ideas on how to help DD through this. As her moodiness is taking its toll on all of us. Thanks in advance

Seeline Wed 24-Aug-16 09:00:31

HAs she had to change schools/leave friends or drop activities, or was it an 'around-the-corner' move?

Peppapogstillonaloop Wed 24-Aug-16 09:02:16

Have you discussed specific things she misses? What are they?

DollyBarton Wed 24-Aug-16 09:07:14

Time and reassurance I think is all you can do. Maybe try to do some lovely things like a movie night with duvets and pop corn. Invite her friends to stay. Could you rent a bouncy castle (depending on garden size) some weekend and have her 3-4 friends over for a special girls day?

tava63 Wed 24-Aug-16 09:08:26

Very hard on all of you but I think you have to accept that she is grieving, she was attached to the lovely home you created for her in the past and it will take time for her to get attached to this new home. I think you have already been supportive by allowing her to choose paint colour and where things go. Lots of listening, cuddles and accepting that she is sad are likely to be the best ways to help her move on and adjust and eventually be happy. I'm just going through a similar experience with one of my kids and it is slowly getting better but it's been hard and I've had to bite my tongue a number of times. If it's any consolation you clearly gave her a great home in her early years and no doubt this new home will be great too. Best wishes.

Rachmumof4 Wed 24-Aug-16 09:23:34

Thank you for responding. It is so tough on us all. Frustrating.

She still goes to the same school, friends come over for play dates and sleepovers. She misses everything about the old home even her tiny box room.
I've kept all her old furniture in her room.

She seems so angry and sad, but it never relents. She seems so unwilling to even try to like our new home.
I've run out of ideas and my patience is whisper thin, because she does not stop being negative about everything. We were once a happy and positive family and this is really taking its strain.

DollyBarton Wed 24-Aug-16 09:51:07

Maybe try doing nice things out of the house and lift her mood that way? Make it less important a thing bit by bit.

This too will pass I'm sure.

DollyBarton Wed 24-Aug-16 09:53:51

It might not be a bad thing either to sit her down and remind her that it's family that's important and not the home so much. Also that her behaviour is having an impact on every one else at this stage. Sometimes pussyfooting around stuff teaches kids to indulge themselves and not to look outwards about things. I'd be a bit from the school of tough love (while giving lots of reassurance and hugs and support in the background) but also thinking am carefully about what my child is learning about coping mechanisms for the future. Just something to think about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now