Should I give any advice to son 22

(14 Posts)
Worrall20 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:02:13

My lovely boy has recently finished his degree in a science subject, and got a fantastic result due to his hard work. He has applied, and been accepted on a Masters course, which he is really excited about. He applied for a job in between with a very large group of companies and after 4 separate interviews has been offered a job! The job is fantastic really good pay chances of promotion etc. He is now stuck not knowing what to do. I really do not want to say anything that may influence his decision as he could, at a later date, hold it against me. Does anybody have any good advice for a hard working science graduate who wants to change the world and is passionate about his subject.

kilmuir Wed 17-Aug-16 22:07:21

Take the job. Can go back and do the Masters.
My mum will offer advice and I am 50

meowli Wed 17-Aug-16 22:25:05

If the job is in his area of interest, then pragmatically, I would be inclined to advise him to take it. He wouldn't be increasing his student debt, he'd be working at what he wants to do, and if, at a later date he decided to do his Masters, I'm sure experience in the field would stand him in very good stead. However it's not always easy to take a break from employment once you have the commitments that often follow.

I'm a great believer in gut instinct. I think that most of us, when faced with a tough decision, know deep down what would feel right. If he loves studying and researching his subject, then doing a Masters is not going to hold him back, once he hits the employment market again in a couple of years time!

Good luck with a difficult, but enviable choice!

RunnyRattata Wed 17-Aug-16 22:31:34

Why not ask him if he'd like to talk tbe pros and cons through with you. You don't have to give him you opinion as such.

RunnyRattata Wed 17-Aug-16 22:31:46

Your

Worrall20 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:32:04

Thanks very much for your replies, they are all very helpful. I totally agree he has some eviable choices. We will just have to sit down and look at pros and cons. The choice is then his.

Brenna24 Fri 19-Aug-16 16:39:59

Sientist of 17 years here. I would say to take the job with the companies. These days having a solely university based CV does not do you well, some of the universities don't even want to empoly people who have spent too long working in a university environment, they are desperate for people with the skills that you get from working in industry. He can go back and do his masters/do it part time later. The industry job is a huge boost to his cv and career. a lot of industries will even help fund/give you time off to do the masters part time. He can defer the masters for a year and see how it goes in industry if he wants.

Brenna24 Fri 19-Aug-16 16:40:51

*scientist. Friday afternoon typing here grin

MrsJayy Fri 19-Aug-16 16:43:28

Dd1 has a science degree she is now a police officer total u turn he needs to do whats right and take the job

Worrall20 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:20:15

Hi Brenna and Mrsjayy, thanks for yr valuable advice. I totally agree employment to me seems the best option, especially in today's market. I also think he is not quite decided which route he wishes to take at the moment. I will definitely
pass on your comments.

isthistoonosy Fri 19-Aug-16 17:25:52

Could he talk to the uni about doing the masters pt (normally 3yrs for a masters pt) and depending on the employer they maybe willing to support him (even some time off unpaid to study could be useful) so could be worth sounding that out with them when agreeing wages, start date etc.

90daychallenger Fri 19-Aug-16 17:26:19

Take the job. It depends on the field but in the field I work (bio-science) a masters isn't really worth anything much more than a degree. What is excellent is either degree and industrial experience or degree and a PhD.

Worrall20 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:38:43

Thank you all I totally agree with all you have said. I shall pass on your comments to DS.

MrsJayy Fri 19-Aug-16 22:06:33

He might be able to do a sebatical (sp) at some point and do his masters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now