Feel sick

(19 Posts)
TheLuckDragon Wed 17-Aug-16 21:58:57

Today my 3 week old baby fell out of his pram which had the car seat attachment on.

We were at a fete in a field and my MIL was holding him. It started raining so she put him in his car seat and I said not to bother strapping him in and that we would just put the rain cover on and head back to the car.

She was pushing him, hit a pothole in the grass, the buggy tipped over and he fell out and landed face first on the grass.

I have never felt so sick in my whole life. I scooped him up immediately and he was crying his eyes out and had a little graze on his forehead. sad

We took him straight to the St John's ambulance tent and they checked him over and said he was absolutely fine. They were telling me not to worry and that it was just an accident but I was shaking so badly.

I feel so guilty. I should have strapped him in. I can't get the image of him face down on the floor out of my head. I feel so sick. I'm meant to protect him. What a fucking idiot I am. I am so angry with myself.

littlemissneela Wed 17-Aug-16 22:02:21

It happens. He is ok though, and I am pretty sure you won't do it again.

We were driving back from the supermarket one evening. As we came round the sharp corner to our road, our very young baby daughter slid across the back seat in ber baby car seat. We both thought the other had strapped her in! We were extra careful after that.

suspiciousofgoldfish Wed 17-Aug-16 22:07:29

I once drove home and realised on arrival I hadn't strapped DS car seat in.

It still makes me shudder.

Don't beat yourself up, you won't make that mistake again and the most important thing is he is fine.

Littleelffriend Wed 17-Aug-16 22:09:17

I was expressing milk and playing on my phone. Look up and baby had rolled out of her swing. I cried and cried

BifsWif Wed 17-Aug-16 22:09:44

It happens, and I promise it's worse for you than them. He won't remember but you will.

I've drove without the car seat strapped in, both children have rolled off beds, out of cots, fallen off sofas...try not to beat yourself up too much, you're clearly an excellent mum for being so upset flowers

TheLuckDragon Wed 17-Aug-16 22:10:33

Thank you for your replies. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one something like this has happened to. It absolutely will not ever happen again but I am just still so shaken by the whole thing sad

TheLuckDragon Wed 17-Aug-16 22:12:04

And thank you bifs, but I certainly don't feel like one today! Poor MIL was in floods of tears as she was pushing him but it was totally my fault for not strapping him in. I have definitely learnt my lesson

Firsttimer82 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:12:27

Oh lovely it happens, just tonight I accidentally swiped my LO with my hand on the forehead opening the fridge! Yr baby is fine, its okay. Sleep well.

TheLuckDragon Wed 17-Aug-16 22:14:18

Thank you first, I am in bed trying to sleep while DH looks after the baby. So glad baby won't remember it!

Mumto2uk Wed 17-Aug-16 22:15:49

I forgot to put the straps on my 3m old when in his bouncy chair. He couldn't move or roll, so I thought nothing of it as he was so sunk back in the chair. Sometimes I wouldn't strap in. I went to the toilet and came back to find him face down in the carpet. I was absolutely distraught, he wasn't drying was fine. Rang 111 and they sent an ambulance who checked him over and said they come across accidents like it all the time. I know that sick feeling... It's awful and the guilt. Don't be too harsh on yourself and remember you aren't the only one X

Mumto2uk Wed 17-Aug-16 22:16:23

*crying

SnakeWitch Wed 17-Aug-16 22:16:30

MIL dropped one of the grandchildren when she was a baby. She didn't pick the carry cot up properly and she rolled out. She was completely fine but MIL is still mortified many years later! I'm sure lots of babies have accidents with no ill effects.

Lottielou7 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:18:24

It happens to everyone - believe me! I took dd1 to the GP because she rolled off the bed when she was a few months old!

Don't beat yourself up flowers he would have been crying mostly from shock.

fabulous01 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:21:58

One twin mum's advice to me on leaving work before maternity leave was.... Don't worry if you drop one. We all do at some stage....
The stories I have since heard!! But baby is fine and come on none of us agree with child neglect etc but we are human and things can happen.
It will be a great story in their teenage years

BillyDaveysDaughter Wed 17-Aug-16 22:25:21

I don't have children but I was around the very first time my poor dear frìend experienced her baby (my goddaughter) rolling off the changing table which was at chest of drawers height, when she looked away for a second. Clonked her head on the radiator on the way down, big red bump and screamed blue murder.

She was absolutely fine, no ill effects, will be 11 next birthday and still shrieks with laughter when I tell her the story again.

lovelilies Wed 17-Aug-16 22:28:40

I dropped DD1 now 11, falling on the stairs at 6 weeks old. She bounced down 4 stairs to the bottom, I was distraught. She was fine smile
DS fell off the bed a few times, he's 2.5 and fine too!
I've yet to hurt DD2.. Fingers crossed I won't! confused

heatherwithapee Wed 17-Aug-16 22:28:46

I used to work in a hospital and we'd get loads of accident forms relating to babies (newborn) rolling of laps into the hard floor, from beds or chairs when tired new mums fell asleep feeding / holding them. They bounce!

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Wed 17-Aug-16 22:30:27

The first baby I nannied for fell out of his high chair at about 8 months, landing head first on the lino. His parents often didn't strap him so neither did I. I was so upset about letting him get hurt (I'd been looking after him from a few days old) and mortified at having to explain what had happened to the GP (who was lovely) when I took him to be checked over. He was totally fine and is now a strapping 16-year-old.

All my subsequent charges, and my own DD, have been thoroughly strapped in to everything since. I carry a set of reins to use in cafe highchairs, trolleys, etc.

TheLuckDragon Wed 17-Aug-16 22:32:56

Ah, thank you all - you have made me feel better just knowing I'm not alone. I still feel terrible and the image of him on the floor will stick with me for a long time I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now