Is this actual magic?

(14 Posts)
shivermytimbers Fri 12-Aug-16 21:54:42

I've just let my 5 week old, collicky baby listen to a free white noise thing on YouTube and he went to sleep!!! Immediately!!! Is this magic? Should I feel bad for hypnotising a baby? Or was it a fluke and actually I've still got to live with sleep deprivation?

ImperialBlether Fri 12-Aug-16 21:55:24

He'll wake up being able to do magic tricks!

BeBesideTheSea Fri 12-Aug-16 21:55:54

Who cares - go to bed and sleeeeeeeeep grin

msrisotto Fri 12-Aug-16 21:59:58

I've heard this before, for adults too. I just don't understand it! HOW can that help anyone sleep? It's such an offensive noise to me!

EsmesBees Fri 12-Aug-16 22:03:57

I used to have to leave you tube videos of hair dryers on for mine. Sometimes the adverts would come on and wake her up. Fun times.

PseudoBadger Fri 12-Aug-16 22:04:19

It's only magic if it works on more than one night.... <bitter>

shivermytimbers Fri 12-Aug-16 22:05:25

I'm in my pyjamas now and off for a snooze grin I've never been so excited about going to bed in my life (no offence meant to DH). Maybe he'll wake up with Harry Potter glasses on Imperial shock Goodnight all!

Bambooshoots14 Fri 12-Aug-16 22:14:12

You can get a white noise app I used to put on at full volume to drown out the crying

Cabawill Fri 12-Aug-16 22:14:55

It works for both me and mine too. I have rain usually or sometimes waves. I set it to go off after 30 mins and I am never still awake then. Before I found it I would take at least 2 hours to drop off- never earlier than 2am. Now I start it at 11pm and wake up when my alarm goes off.

Not sure how this magic works though!

Primaryteach87 Fri 12-Aug-16 22:19:40

Yes, yes it is magic. I worshipped my white noise maker. Rain on YouTube worked well too. Enjoy!

Stradbroke Fri 12-Aug-16 22:26:37

Yes it's magic. Worked wonders for my colicky baby. She is now 7 and goes to sleep listening to story books. She needs noise to sleep.

prokupatuskrakedatus Sat 13-Aug-16 06:54:28

Yes, it's great isn't it.

I had to use a hair dryer with mine (I'm old). But for me - I use a rain and a waves app with timer. I even put it on at work when I need to concentrate.

BexusSugarush Sat 13-Aug-16 10:14:19

Pink noise is actually better for getting babies to sleep than white noise. We've used pink noise sleep aids like Ewan the Sheep since dd was born - magical!

Primaryteach87 Sat 13-Aug-16 11:53:20

^ what's the difference between pink & white noise? (Excuse my ignorance!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now