7 month old won't take solids.

(17 Posts)
Feelingsolow12345 Wed 10-Aug-16 16:54:47

Exactly that. He'll have half a rusk as finger foods but purè food is a no go. What can I do to get him to eat his food or shall I just give him finger and lumpy food (he has mash now and then)?

Also he's got to have milk protein diet.

Ffion3107 Wed 10-Aug-16 16:56:34

Have you tried baby led weaning?
Food is just for fun until they're a year old as they still rely on milk, but we loved BLW!

Feelingsolow12345 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:00:29

No not yet. He's under a dietitian and all she said was try him on everything but egg and milk as he's allergic to it.

Ffion3107 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:06:01

You can start BLW from 6 months, I'd definitely recommend it.

60sname Wed 10-Aug-16 17:08:39

We've just been through that, even down to those specific allergies. I just kept offering him food (puree/bits of veg) three times a day, and he ignored it, or occasionally deigned to eat some finger food, which drove me bananas and then one day when he'd just turned 9 months old he started eating and hasn't looked back (now 10.5 months)

Keep at it [gin]

sillibillie Wed 10-Aug-16 17:08:47

My 7 month old won't let me spoon feed her. Nor did the last 3!! Just give finger food. Tonight she has had chips and chopped up lasagne. Lunch was bread and butter, cucumber sticks, pork pie pieces and chopped cherry tomatoes. Yes the dog is eating better than she ever has but a large proportion goes into the baby and she enjoys playing with it

sillibillie Wed 10-Aug-16 17:10:26

Also, I don't give any of the children cows milk and we avoid egg as hubby doesn't like the smell. I have a CMPA child so use vitalite, goats milk and goats cheese

Feelingsolow12345 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:21:49

We got some pre bagged fruit so I think I'll try him on that and when I do my Salas sarnies I'll give him cucumber and stuff.

Could I give him pasta?

Mummyme87 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:24:15

Yes pasta. You can give him anything except for milk and egg foods (check the labels). My son had a CMPA and baby led weaning was great. They eat whatever you eat

Reallyhard Wed 10-Aug-16 17:32:44

I've been there with this, my DD was a nightmare to wean. She refused everything, and I distinctly remember it taking her until 11 months before she took what I would describe as a 'proper' feed. So frustrating! I ended up with a freezer full of various purees and meals she refused as I kept trying different things, I got upset and worried, I didn't know what I was doing wrong, kept trying different food, it was incredibly frustrating.

My 10 month baby is now shaping up the same - very difficult to feed, will not tolerate any finger food or anything remotely lumpy, some days takes a good meal, other days nothing. He's also dairy intolerant which doesn't help. But I'm much less stressed this time because I know he will get there eventually.

I offer him food 3 times daily, if he eats it great, if not no biggie. As long as he takes his bottle feeds he's getting plenty of nourishment and he'll get there eventually.

So my advice is not to panic. Just keep offering food, try not to go to any great lengths preparing special meals (offer what you are eating as far as possible) so you don't get annoyed if it ends up in the bin, and let him take it at his pace.

Oh, and my DD who is 4... Now eats whatever I set before her, refuses nothing, and in fact I have to make sure she doesn't eat too much as she has a great appetite now!!

Feelingsolow12345 Wed 10-Aug-16 19:07:41

Im glad to hear other stories. luckily I have a dairy intolerance myself so my food hasn't got milk in it.

We need to introduce nuts so we're giving him almond milk.

Reindeerlily Wed 10-Aug-16 19:12:50

My baby boy wouldn't eat anything. He was 7.5 months before he managed to try purée food. He's nearly 10 months now and still not a massive eater but will eat most things. Good luck.

CaveMum Wed 10-Aug-16 19:15:29

Try to follow the motto "food before 1 is just for fun". If he eats a few bits here and there, brilliant. If he doesn't show any interest just keep offering and try not to make a big deal if he refuses to try something.

DD was a slow starter with BLW but within a month or so was stuffing her face with anything within grasp!

Thequilltosurvive Wed 10-Aug-16 19:19:16

My DS wouldn't be spoonfed so I switched to BLW and never looked back. I think some babies just don't like mush or want to do it themselves. Rusks are sugary I believe though so you'd be better starting with fingers of ripe avocado or cooked sweet potato.

Thequilltosurvive Wed 10-Aug-16 19:20:10

Where did I get rusks from?! blush Think I misread mash!

Feelingsolow12345 Wed 10-Aug-16 19:38:24

I'll look into blw and go from there

SweepTheHalls Wed 10-Aug-16 19:43:48

Just pop whatever you are having on his highchair test. Its amazing what they can eat! This week my 7 month old has had pancakes, scrambled eggs, gard boiled eggs, fish fingers and waffles salmon Wellington, mini sweetcorn, sugar snap peas, Carrots, peanut butter sandwiches, baked beans, Cucumber, Peppers, Tuna pasta bake and garlic bread! Relax and let them explore ☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now