Single Palmer crease - experiences please

(16 Posts)
Luckystar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:31:10

My beautiful 6 day old DD was noted as having a single palmar crease in her right hand at birth. The other hand is 'normal'. She has no other physical indicators of any chromosomal disorder but obviously I have googled it and am now concerned.

Neither DH, DS or I have this and I wondered if anyone can impart any experiences of this with older children.

I understand at around 15% of the population have this and are 'normal' but forewarned is forearmed etc!

Thank you

JoandMax Wed 10-Aug-16 12:37:42

Hi OP, congrats on your lovely new baby!!

I have a single crease on both hands, nobody else in my family has it. I'm a perfectly normal 35 year old

I know it's tempting to google but try and not worry. Ask the doctors and trust them x

Luckystar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:43:40

Thank you Jo! Are you extremely intelligent and talented??! This seems to be the other thing touted heavily about the crease!

JoandMax Wed 10-Aug-16 12:48:15

Ha ha why of course!!!

In all seriousness I would say average to high intelligence (I went to a grammar school and university, did relatively well with an average effort as did all my siblings/parents so fairly normal for our family).

I'm very much a mainstream content person!!!

JoandMax Wed 10-Aug-16 12:50:08

Here are photos of my hands - as you can see both are very defined full creases. I just had a Google and apparently it's pretty rare for both and a female - I'm quite proud of myself!

titchy Wed 10-Aug-16 12:57:48

Tony Blair has one. Sorry...

Luckystar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 13:25:47

See I would never notice this in someone especially an adult! But thank you Jo.

You sound similar to me 🎺🎺 <--- blowing my own trumpet! Perhaps she'll be on child genius as the youngest ever competitor.... Not!!

titchy I did read that... And Hilary Clinton... Good god I hope she's not a politician!!

SpeakNoWords Wed 10-Aug-16 13:52:07

Hi. I also have a single crease on both hands - I've never met anyone with the same before, so hello to JoandMax! I'm a completely "normal" nearly-40 year old :-)

JoandMax Wed 10-Aug-16 14:01:46

Hello SpeakNoWords!!! You are also my first creased hand meeting!

Luckystar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 14:09:29

Should I be charging for these intros??!

Also, and apologies if this is too much of a personal question... Did either of you have any difficulties conceiving?? (Thinking about Turners)

Kathysclown Wed 10-Aug-16 14:15:14

My 7 year old dd has a single crease on one of her hands. She also had a very large nuchal fold when born, and was checked out thoroughly for chromosomal issues, but nothing found. She is growing up to be a totally normal girl, bright enough without being especially high intelligence - just a lovely normal girl. I do know that checking on Google in the first few weeks after she was born didn't help me very much though!

SpeakNoWords Wed 10-Aug-16 14:15:50

No problems conceiving, quite the opposite in fact - first month of trying both times! Neither of my two children have inherited the crease though, I wondered whether they would.

JoandMax Wed 10-Aug-16 14:19:39

No problems conceiving at all, within 6 months with DS1, DS2 was a one hit wonder!! I lost my first pregnancy but that was also conceived within a few months.

Neither of my DC have it either

Luckystar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 14:26:07

Thank you all. Obviously it doesn't change DD, but it's heartening to hear positives. She is so beautiful I just want her to have a wonderful and happy life.

I may be a bit sleep deprived and sentimental!!

JoandMax Wed 10-Aug-16 14:30:21

Hey you're 6 days in, anything like this would bring out the emotions!!

Just enjoy your gorgeous, amazing little girl xxx

Luckystar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 14:36:12

Thank you, she's lying on me sound asleep. Her big brother will undoubtedly waken shortly to bring noise and destruction to the world once more!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now