DD fainting at sight of blood

(4 Posts)
Thebewilderbeest Sat 30-Jul-16 20:14:18

DD (7) got a minute cut on her finger earlier today when she scraped it on a brick wall. DH was putting a plaster on it and she fainted. DH caught her and she came round very quickly but we know she must have passed out as she had no idea why she was on the floor! She then spent some time dry retching into the toilet afterwards. She has recently started to react badly to blood and injuries but this was the worst yet.
I'm not surprised or worried in terms of health, my (late) DM was hopeless with blood, and would often faint or throw up she cut herself, my sister is the same.
Just wondering if anyone else has kids that do this and how you handle it? Are there any strategies I can teach her to help her cope? My sister lives in constant fear of injuries because she knows she can't deal with them by herself, and that can't be fun. Any advice appreciated!

Andro Sat 30-Jul-16 20:49:43

Other than sitting or better still laying down there's not much you can do - even CBT and exposure therapy are limited in their usefulness when the reaction is vasovagal.

Thebewilderbeest Sat 30-Jul-16 21:16:27

Hmm, I was worried that might be the case. My internet searches didn't come up with much help other than the science behind why it happens. I'll just have to teach her to lie down or put her head between her knees if she feels funny! Should probably warn school when she goes back in September too.

Andro Sat 30-Jul-16 21:38:11

Warning school is a good call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now