Drinking around baby

(12 Posts)
ladymelo Sat 30-Jul-16 15:30:52

Our health visitor mentioned we shouldn't drink around baby or if we have don't hold him for 20 mins after drinking? We're not drinkers at all but are going to a bbq where we may have one or two, I'm just wondering what she meant as in would she mean to not be drunk around him or he may be effected by the drink on breath? I'm not sure just querying itconfused

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sat 30-Jul-16 15:35:57

Another Health Visitor that brings the profession down.

Unless she has any reason to genuinely suspect either of you will be completely hammered around your baby she's just talking shite.

Request a different one next time if you want one to visit. You don't have to see one if you don't want to. I think the clinics are better - you get them weighed, red book filled in, show willing etc but they're a bit less in your face.

Some of them are a danger to society.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jul-16 15:37:41

Sounds a bit overkill to me. You should drink responsibly of course and not drink so much that you can't safely look after him but that's not the same thing.

Sounds like she has got confused with advice about smoking!

Lj8893 Sat 30-Jul-16 15:47:58

Wtf?! Smoking yea, but drinking? How ridiculous!

Artandco Sat 30-Jul-16 15:50:38

That's ridiculous

Full on shots drinking well yes, but I don't Think anyone does that do they whilst watching a child

Have baby in arms whilst drinking a glass of wine with meal is Perfectly fine

LBOCS2 Sat 30-Jul-16 15:55:37

Full on shots drinking well yes, but I don't Think anyone does that do they whilst watching a child

Well, no. Apart from anything else, parenting with a hangover is one of the missing circles of hell.

It's rubbish, particularly given the guidelines for drinking and breastfeeding are considerably more relaxed than that. My MW basically said that if you're sober enough to hold the baby you're sober enough to breastfeed them grin

DiggersRest Sat 30-Jul-16 15:59:48

Well I'm in the pub having a quietish drink while baby dd2 is asleep. Dd1 is the reason it's only 'quietish' as she's so bloody loud and talkative

Ragwort Sat 30-Jul-16 16:00:06

Seriously ?!?!?!?!?

Who are these 'Health Visitors' - I can hardly believe it's true.

AnnaT45 Sat 30-Jul-16 16:09:25

Never heard that before. I think she's confused with smoking. Have a glass of wine and enjoy it! Some HV are very odd

ReginaPhalange87 Sat 30-Jul-16 16:11:40

Oh my goodness. No doubt she'd be calling social services on me then. I regularly have a couple of glasses of wine/prosecco on a Saturday and see to my DD's (5 and 10 months). We're on holiday at the moment and I've had a couple of g&t's and will most likely have a glass of wine later at the children's disco. As long as you're not absolutely fall over steaming drunk then what's the harm in it? Of course anyone with any common sense knows you should be driving responsibly when you have children in your care! Please go and enjoy your BBQ and couple of drinks with your little family and pay absolutely no attention to your HV. What an absolute idiot.

ReginaPhalange87 Sat 30-Jul-16 16:12:43

*drinking not driving. Gosh that's a whole other thread! grin

ButtMuncher Sat 30-Jul-16 16:13:40

Oh jeez well I'm going to fail as a parent before I've even begun grin can't wait to have a glass of wine once baby boy is here grin

You'll be fine having a couple. Enjoy yourself wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now