Getting rid of the dummy

(7 Posts)
SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 29-Jul-16 18:15:45

How did you decide when was the right time to remove the dummy from your toddler?
DD is now 2 (25 months), and she's had a dummy for sleep since she was 6 weeks old. She is very attached to her dummy, and if anything is getting more attached! We've been thinking about removing it for a while now, and decided the dummy fairy would be the method we would use. We bought the book "Bea gives up her dummy" to introduce this idea, and I'm almost wondering if this has made things worse! Previously DD would only have her dummy for sleep, and would willingly give it up when she woke. Now she wants the bloody thing 24/7! We can distract her for a short while but she screams for her dummy a lot more than she used to.
Should we just bite the bullet and get rid altogether, or try to wean her back down to sleep time only before getting rid? Or leave it till she decides she doesn't want it any more? She does wake us up in the night if she's lost it, which is annoying for us all!

ODog Fri 29-Jul-16 19:55:40

I have a 2.2yo dummy addict. He generally only has it for naps, late evening, night and early mornin until breakfast. He does ask for it if he's hurt/upset and I generally let him have it in those scenarios. I don't think he's ready to give it up yet and it's not affecting his speech or teeth so I'm happy for him to keep it until he's ready. It helps him sleep (I put a few in his bed so he can find at least one in the night) and gives him comfort with little downsides so why get rid?

I'm currently trying to get my 2mo to have one. She doesn't know what she's missing. She's going to want one when she's two and a scary looking person dressed as a minion wanders into soft play (talking from a recent experience!)

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 29-Jul-16 20:00:22

One tip that worked for my two year old was to cut a small slit in the dummy teat so that it can't 'suck' properly. When I tried this, my son quickly discarded his dummy as he didn't like the feel of it.
(appreciate this won't work for every dummy lover!)

Totallyawinetaster Sat 30-Jul-16 12:27:58

With my dds I am just waiting till they no longer want it. Is your dds speech ok? Or her teeth? If so then I really wouldn't worry, my youngest is around that age and she wants her all the time. You could wean her down to bedtime if you had concerns but I would let her decide she doesn't want it in her own time.

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 30-Jul-16 13:46:46

Thanks for the responses. I'm not 100% convinced that any damage to teeth would show this early? I was a thumb sucker and there was no damage to my teeth at 2, but there was later.
Her speech is great, that's never been an issue (she gets her talkative nature from me!)
Nineties I like that idea!

MsVTired Sat 30-Jul-16 13:50:59

Honestly just take it away from her use the dummy fairies ( I bought that Bea book too). my DD was only upse for that first night, was happy the dummy fairy had bought her a wooden train set smile I think I was more stressed at the dummy going then she was!

Good luck

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 30-Jul-16 14:34:25

MrsV that was our plan, but I swear she demands it more since reading that book! Bea has the dummy all the time, DD used to only have it for sleep. It also took 4 attempts to get past the page where Bea's mummy tells her she is too big for the dummy. I think DD thought it was too sad a story, lol!
We've just got to get the guts to take it away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now