Will the biting ever end?

(4 Posts)
Rose138 Thu 28-Jul-16 15:55:20

Hi all,

My son is 20 months old. For the past 3 weeks he's started to bite! Myself and my husband at the moment, no children or family members (thank goodness). The triggers have been taking something from him that he shouldn't have (he found a coin at the beach) or if we have to leave (my mums, the park etc).

I have a bruise on my arm still from a bite a week ago and he's bitten me today which bled and will inevitably bruise. We lower our voice and tell him No. I've also pretended to cry and said "that hurts Mummy".

I cried today because I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I've also become really worried that he's going to do it to other family members, his young cousins, my friends children. He starts nursery in September too. Like I say so far it's just been to my husband and I and I am hoping this is only a temporary phase.

I just don't know what to do and feel so upset as to why he is doing it? He's never seen anyone else do it so I don't know why it has started.

He only says three words- Mum, Dad and car so I don't know if this could be connected? Is he frustrated?

Thank you in advance!

SeashellHoarder Thu 28-Jul-16 22:23:19

We had this, but I don't remember it lasting more than a month. I think it's mainly frustration that he's not getting his own way. I think at this age you pretending to cry is useless, they are to self-centered.
Remember, if he can't say many words he will understand a lot, so if make sure to give countdown warnings so he doesn't feel so frustrated and confused when something fun stops.
E.g we are going to leave the park in 5 minutes, we are leaving in 2 minutes, then 1 minute. When it's time say, ok, time to go, shall we do one more go on the slide?
After a few weeks of count downs he'll start to get to grips with it.
Good luck. He's unlikely to do this at nursery, you are safe so he can push you further than anyone else.

Rose138 Fri 29-Jul-16 13:03:25

Thank you so much SeashellHorder!
I don't know why I haven't tried timings/countdowns-thank you!
Xx

uhoh2016 Fri 29-Jul-16 14:04:07

My 17mo also bites it's been going on a couple of months now. I'm hoping he grows out of it soon.
He will bite out of frustration like your dc but will also bite just for the fun of it. He could be sat on my knee happily and just bend over sinking his teeth into my arm for no reason whatsoever he also tries to bite his brothers legs if they are stood near him.
He was bit himself about 5 months ago by a little girl at soft play I'm thinking this has something to do with him starting to bite. I've no idea how to stop him my older dc never bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now