Chickenpox nightmare

(13 Posts)
Twinmum2016 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:02:05

Looking for advise on chickenpox with twins! One has developed some spots whilst the other seems ok so far. Any tips or advise on how to handle it, and make it as pain free as possible for them?

We are due to go on holiday on Monday but somehow can't see that happening :-(

Dixiechick17 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:13:46

My DD developed them on the Wednesday. They were at their worst on the Saturday and by day six the Monday, they were getting better. She had a really bad case and was covered in head to toe, we did cool baths, lots of nappy off time (lay mats on the floor) and let her sleep on us or in the bed with us, I appreciate it must be harder with twins. Hope it doesn't get too bad and it's just mild. We also had calamine lotion, the other on the shelf chicken pox remedies just seemed to irritate her. This was last month when she was a year old.

Twinmum2016 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:17:07

Thank you for your reply, I'm dreading how bad it could get but want to be as prepared as possible with lotions and potions. To top it off it is their 2nd birthday next week :-(

glenthebattleostrich Wed 27-Jul-16 21:17:54

Poxacilin mousse, menthol aveno, piriton and cool baths.

Putting sheets and underwear in a carrier bag then into the freezer for an hour really helped.

Laststop Wed 27-Jul-16 21:19:18

Oats in a sock and then in a warm bath the water goes creamy really helps soothe

fabulous01 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:19:20

My twins At 15 months have just had foot and mouth virus. Not easy. But lots of cold food and deep breaths as the wee things aren't well

Helish Wed 27-Jul-16 21:21:01

My twins had chickenpox last month. One definitely got it worse than the other. DT1 was covered and quite poorly with a high temp, while DT2 has spots and was a bit grumpy for a day but recovered quickly. I found aveeno bath oil with oatmeal every evening helped with the itching, liquid piriton and calpol helped along with chickenpox gel kept in the fridge and applied throughout the day. Even at their worst DT1 was only poorly for a couple of days so it is over quickly

GreenRut Wed 27-Jul-16 21:22:26

Two of mine had it very recently. One much worse than the other. Try liquid piriton medicine for the itching and then there is a moose spray which is good too, very easy to apply and they seem to like the novelty of moose so don't mind it going on! I'd say there a chance you can still go on holiday? They don't always catch it off eachother. My middle one next caught it off my eldest when he had it. Plus it will depend now how bad it gets, but we're only on Wednesday so you've got a fair few days to assess the situation! Good luck OP!

GreenRut Wed 27-Jul-16 21:22:57

Next= never

pinksummer Wed 27-Jul-16 21:33:34

I found the mousse good. I just slapped it on everytime he walked past me. Just remember NO ibuprofen. It isn't recommended with chickenpox.

Twinmum2016 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:38:59

Thanks everyone. Think I will give all of these things a try. Is the mousse the Poxacilin mousse that was mentioned?

Watto1 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:44:33

Poxclin mousse is great. Goes on really easily and is nice and cooling. Piriton helps them get a good nights sleep.

FloatyFlo Wed 27-Jul-16 23:14:02

Piriton piriton piriton.

My dd was absolutely covered but she coped very well and hardly scratched because I kept her topped up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now