Chicken pox dilemma

(6 Posts)
Topsy44 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:28:50

My dd (aged 4) has got chicken pox. We're on day 2, she seems to have a mild case, about 20 spots and generally feeling ok but a little irritable at times.

I am due to go out Saturday night for a hen night. I'm a lone parent and elderly parents will be looking after her.

If she's still ok on Saturday would you go or do you think it's unfair on my dd/parents?

Dixiechick17 Wed 27-Jul-16 19:55:39

I would honestly play it by ear, day 1 my DD had a few spots, day two about twenty, day three more and day four broke out all over her body and was in pain and miserable. She was just a year old so we couldn't explain it to her, hopefully your DD won't get many more spots, but just to pre warn that more can appear over the next couple of days.

heyday Wed 27-Jul-16 21:05:21

Older people can get shingles from the chicken pox virus which can be very painful. Its best to seek advice from your GP as you don't want to make life difficult for your parents. You will be better able to do the correct thing once you have correct medical advice.

TheChippendenSpook Wed 27-Jul-16 21:07:01

You can't catch shingles from chicken pox, it's the other way round.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 27-Jul-16 21:13:02

Actually exposure to chicken pox can be protective against getting shingles as it stimulates the immune system. That is as long as they have both definitely had chicken pox when younger, otherwise they could catch it. If she is well then I think that it should be fine.

Topsy44 Thu 28-Jul-16 08:38:03

Thanks for the replies. Dixiechick I think you are right and sorry to hear that your DD was so poorly with it. I sent the bridesmaid who is organising the hen night an email yesterday to tell her that DD had chickenpox and I would just have to play each day by ear.

Thanks everyone for the advice about shingles. She does seem to have it mildly (at the moment!), only a couple more spots have surfaced overnight and generally ok in herself. So helpful to know my parents could have her if she's ok. Fingers crossed she stays that way!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now