Potty training help!!

(11 Posts)
emmabrown123 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:20:15

Hi all.

Need some help with potty training my DS. He's 2 years and 2 months. Didn't really want to start training him for a while as I am 37 weeks pregnant and don't think it's the right time.

However, for the last few weeks he is asking for a wee then taking himself off to the toilet, taking his trousers and nappy off and peeing next to the toilet.

He won't sit on the potty, he won't let me lift him onto the toilet. He tries to climb on himself but can't get on it properly so gets up and just pees next to it. He doesn't even want me in the toilet with him and tries to close the door on me! I'm worried he's gonna fall in!

After 10 mins of trying to find a way to do it today he just weed on the floor and got upset so I felt awful.

It's not every wee but maybe a couple of times a day he asks. What do I do?! Don't want to ignore him when he asks, but struggling to find a workable solution!!

dementedpixie Tue 26-Jul-16 20:22:10

If it's just pee, hold the potty up under his Penis and he can pee into it standing up

TeaBelle Tue 26-Jul-16 20:24:14

Argos do a toilet 'ladder' that might help him

dementedpixie Tue 26-Jul-16 20:25:38

www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Toilet-Training-Trainer-Bathroom/dp/B014D1MC2U one of these?

FurryGiraffe Tue 26-Jul-16 20:28:20

We use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Childrens-2-Step-Stool-Blue/dp/B006MVP14Q/ref=sr11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469561140&sr=8-1&keywords=rsw+step

emmabrown123 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:29:03

He won't let me help him in any way! If I try and put the potty near him he just says 'no, not potty'.

I like the ladder thing, wonder if he'd be able to manoeuvre himself on to the toilet with no help with that? Might be worth a shot!!

CodyKing Tue 26-Jul-16 20:29:36

Can you not just leave a washing up bowl on the floor?

emmabrown123 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:35:12

I really feel like he wants to do it in the toilet. He was trying every which way to get on it today (but would let me help him). I think it might be a case of wanting to copy us a bit too.

Might try the bowl thing tomorrow though and see what happens!!

CodyKing Tue 26-Jul-16 20:52:14

I know the weather isn't great but I used to let my son pee in the garden - or water the flowers!! He never sat for a wee - he was the only one in nursery though who didn't ! (He never watered their garden either)

OneEpisode Tue 26-Jul-16 20:56:30

And you could get one of these www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiqw8mp9JHOAhWHg9sKHbukDCIYABAQ&sig=AOD64_3PQGdHnd2gte6EL4nRqMa6G_DA-Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjTocep9JHOAhXoDMAKHbn6AxIQwg8IMw&adurl=
They are easy to fit & come in other colours so you could swap old for new without too many ructions?

Itsaplayonwords Tue 26-Jul-16 21:10:53

I'm off to order one of them OneEpisode.

I'd say the little steps could be a good idea for him or you can get those toilet potty's. You could get one and call it his toilet rather than "potty" and he might take to it. Or take him to the shop and let him choose which one he likes, if any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now