2-year-old napping in super-hot bedroom

(7 Posts)
BeaArthursUnderpants Tue 19-Jul-16 13:20:29

My 2-year-old very much needs his midday nap, and he always goes down without a fuss. We normally close the window and blackout shades, and close the door so it is dark and quiet. On hot days, the sun hits that part of the house directly at this time of day and his room is sweltering. Unfortunately, he refuses to let me leave the window or door open. I did manage to convince him to let me turn on the fan and to use a muslin blanket instead of his beloved fleece one, but I know it's got to be a sauna in there. Still, he is sound asleep. If I had insisted on leaving the door open I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have napped at all, which would have meant a miserable evening for all of us. But it feels cruel to close him into such a hot room with no air flow. What can I do?

drinkyourmilk Tue 19-Jul-16 13:22:11

Wait till he falls asleep then open the window /door?

NapQueen Tue 19-Jul-16 13:22:26

Can he nap in his buggy in the garden?

NapQueen Tue 19-Jul-16 13:22:54

If the curtains and blinds are closed all day it should keep the room a little cooler.

BeaArthursUnderpants Tue 19-Jul-16 13:57:14

Thanks for the responses. He won't nap anywhere else, and I'm afraid if I open the door he will wake up. I suppose if he's not uncomfortable it can't be that bad, but I can't imagine sleeping in there.

T0ddlerSlave Thu 21-Jul-16 23:02:33

You're supposed to leave Windows and curtains closed during the day in this heat. I'd get a fan and freeze a bottle of water to blow across it and try to cool the room that way. Turn it off if he can't sleep with the noise.

heehaaw Thu 21-Jul-16 23:13:32

Same problem here but in the evenings. DD has one of the stick on black out blinds plus a roller blind. Because the blind has a black surface her room gets very hot at bedtime as the sun sets on that side. In the mornings & post afternoon nap I have been taking the sticky blind off, opening the window, putting the fan on & pulling the other blind down to keep it cool. She is sleeping with usual blind configuration plus fan, only wearing nappy or v light pjs & sheet instead of usual blanket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now