What does your 7 or 8 year old have in their room for entertainment?

(5 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 18-Jul-16 09:14:27

Just curious. DS is 7 (8 in the Autumn) and rarely if ever seems to play with toys any more. His favourite thing to do is any kind of screen based entertainment and if that isn't available he'll tend towards paper-based stuff, puzzle books, reading and drawing kind of things. He doesn't even build his lego very often.

I don't know if it's odd, or whether his toys are just too young for him now. I played with toys until I was about twice his age! But I was young for my age and I have a younger sister, whereas he is an only child.

What do others have?

reallyanotherone Mon 18-Jul-16 09:18:16

Just books and soft toys.

Theyve never had toys in their room, i keep them downstairs- my oldest was a danger baby, id leave her playing lego and come back 3 minutes later to find her jumping off windowledges.

As they get older they have less time to play, but mine do still play on quiet days or in school holidays, so i wouldn't get rid just yet.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Mon 18-Jul-16 09:21:25

Mine has books, soft toys, a small amount of stationery, dressing up and a few toys that migrate from the playroom but she doesn't really play with them.
She has a CD player for story CDs which she uses a lot.
Oh, and a hamster!

Enb76 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:23:31

Books, marble run, train tracks, hex bug tracks, Play Mobil. No electronics upstairs. My daughter is nearly 8. Mostly she plays outside with Nerf bow and arrows and on the trampoline

mouldycheesefan Mon 18-Jul-16 09:27:39

Books, CD player.
Toys are all in cupboards downstairs.
Mine are also not playing with toys much, lots of reading, crafts, and watching things that are age appropriate on you tube. They still like card games and board games if an adult will join in.
Get rid of all Lego, dolls, play mobile etc was a sad day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now