How much clothing do your children have/need??

(18 Posts)
twirlytwat Sat 16-Jul-16 07:37:57

I try and organise my children's following size wardrobes in sales ahead of time, hoping that it's cheaper..But they always seem to end up with loads and gaps that still need filling by the time they're ready for it.
We've also been lucky enough to receive some gifts and/or hand me downs which are always gratefully received, but not guaranteed so I don't count them when planning ahead.
It does all get rotated, used and/or passed on and I'm certainly not moaning.. Just curious if we have a typical or OTT amount.
How much do your kids have or need in their wardrobes?

Idontknowwhoiam Sat 16-Jul-16 07:45:51

My daughter has lots of hand me down and a lot bought for her by gp etc.

She has way too many clothes but I can't seem to thin them out because they're nice and good quality.

My sons wardrobe is more reasonable and has a pair of trouses for every day plus about 10 t shirts and 6 long sleeve tops, 2 jumpers and 1 shirt.
This is without uniform.
They both have trousers/ pinafore and polo shirt and jumper/cardigan for every day of the week because I'm too lazy to wash uniform mid week!
Also they have a pair of shoes and coat for most weather situations ie sandles/wellies/daps/boots.

Believeitornot Sat 16-Jul-16 07:48:12

Too many clothes after I tried to do what you do and buy in advance.

Plus having the DCs makes me realise just how annoying and unpredictable our weather is. So for example, they have a load of summer clothes (we had an overseas holiday in Easter so bought early), but it's been mainly raining so had to stock up on jeans as ds goes through them at the knees.

So I try and leave it until the last minute and buy fewer things.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 16-Jul-16 07:50:45

Far too many but we always seem to have gaps! Like PP, we've just had 2 weeks in Spain so they have loads of summer clothes in their current size (baby and toddler so growing quickly), but since we came back it's been far too cold for them and they need warmer clothes in this size. I'm rubbish at it, somehow. They have so much but never the right things.

OSETmum Sat 16-Jul-16 15:50:34

DS (7) has tons but I'm happy with that. He loves clothes and shoes and we like to see him looking nice.

DragonsEggsAreAllMine Sun 17-Jul-16 12:48:27

Lots but I like it like that, plenty of choice and anything stained etc can just go for recycling.

I buy each season with odd bits in the sale so always have what we need and in the right size. Dislike ill fitting clothes.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Sun 17-Jul-16 12:52:14

Since starting school, very little as they seem to go straight into sports wear/rainbows uniform/pjs after school in the week and only need a couple of trousers/leggings and t shirts for the weekends.
This does mean a lot of washing in the holidays!

Bananalanacake Sun 17-Jul-16 13:03:17

So many it's not true! I have one DD she is 21mo. She has been given lots of hand me downs from a neighbour and a friend, she also gets new clothes given to her by her 2 GMs, I have never bought anything for her brand new, though I have bought her second hand clothes from charity shops and Kinder Flohmarkts (Germany's version of NCT sales).
She must have over 80 tops and I make sure she wears them all 3 times or more before they get too small. I arrange her tops in her drawers by what age they are; getting small, the right size for now and the next one up. When the tops have been washed and ironed I put them at the bottom of the right pile to make sure they rotate.

Please can someone reassure me I am not the only one to do thissmile

annandale Sun 17-Jul-16 13:05:57

Like believe I think it's usually better not to think too much ahead.

Exceptions for me are coats and waterproof gloves and boots, ebay before it's too cold, but not months ahead.

Underpants and socks get bought at Christmas when my PILs give us M&S vouchers. Maybe updated pack of socks in the summer.

Ds has 4 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of black jeans that he wears in and out of school until they decide to crack down on uniform 4 school shirts, 2 school jumpers, 10 pairs black socks, eight pairs pants; approx 8 tshirts (mostly presents), 5 long-sleeved tops, 1 hoodie, 1 raincoat, water proof gloves and trousers; warm boots, trainers, school shoes, fake crocs; school pe tops and tracksuit, club cricket kit, club athletics singlet, 2 swimmers. Dressing gown, one reasonable set of pjs, a few outgrown remnants of pjs that he still wears. He's grown out of his warm coat, thanks for the reminder... It's the sports and pe kit that cost, plus i buy him proper trainers as his feet are weird and he gets orthopaedic problems.

purpleme12 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:23:16

My little girl's only got lots if we've been given lots 2nd hand or bought cheap stuff at car boots when she was a baby. If we hadn't got given stuff I'd just make sure she's got 5 outfits that go together and 2 pairs of pyjamas for season, dressing gown, 1 coat, shoes, wellies and sandals

Artandco Sun 17-Jul-16 13:39:23

Around a weeks worth of clothes. But that's split into different things, for example at the moment my boys have around 5 tshirts, 3 Long sleeve tshirts, 3 long sleeve shirts. So 11 tops. They will wear the long sleeve less when warm, and when cold might wear a long sleeve tshirt with a tshirt over the top or a tshirt under a shirt etc.

Same with trousers, a few leggings, few chinos, pair of jeans, couple of shorts. Some tights to go under if cold.

Two jumpers and two cardigans atm.

I would rather less but each in good maternal. Ie everything is 100% cotton, linen or wool here.

They have two drawers each which fit all clothes in. Plus shirts and school shirts hang up in shared wardrobe. In the drawers we have those dividers from ikea which stops everything getting muddled up

insan1tyscartching Sun 17-Jul-16 14:39:56

Dd has lots fundamentally because she doesn't grow very quickly and she never spoils anything and they never seem to wear out! So age 2 to 3 fitted her until she was almost five, age 7 to 8 fitted her until she was ten. She's 13 now and I think stopped growing at all so she has clothes from when she was eleven.
I like her to have a full week of outfits because we go away regularly so she has 5 traveller pants, 3 jeggings, 2 jeans, 2 joggers, 5 checked shirts, 5 long sleeve tops, 10 t shirts, 3 hoodies, 3 sweaters, 2 cardigans. She has summer shorts, vest tops and little skirts besides but she isn't keen on wearing them. She has lots of pyjamas because if she's not doing anything after school she wears them in preference to getting changed and she has a full set of uniform for each day at school.
She has a winter coat, a school coat, a denim jacket, a leather jacket, a smart three quarter length jacket and waterproofs
A huge amount written down but at least she never moans that she's got nothing to wear.

NapQueen Sun 17-Jul-16 14:44:36

I used to buy ahead and then a random friend or family member would bring a boat load around and we would be swamped.

Now I just buy if I find a gap. Dd is nearly 5 and I've not bought any clothes for pr9bably about 9 months.

onemouseplace Sun 17-Jul-16 14:50:51

I used to buy ahead in the sales until I realised DD had way too many clothes, especially the year she started in school uniform.

I only buy ahead in the sales now if there is an actual need (e.g. a winter coat for next year) or I really love something, but otherwise I now buy as and when and find I'm actually spending less.

twirlytwit Sun 17-Jul-16 21:25:40

Thanks for replying, I've never actually counted the clothes but do know we have more than enough! My friends seemed rather shocked at the amounts I had to pass on blush Relieved to hear that's fairly normal! It does help to be prepared with ever changing the weather and laundry droughts here though. Think we've ended up with a huge supply of summer stuff as pp mentioned as we were living in the Middle East before January so was always needed until now. Will bear in mind for next year and resist sales shopping unless necessary from now on (whatever!). Ps I'm still wearing clothes from years ago hmm

ElodieS Mon 18-Jul-16 09:34:10

I think this is one area where having twins (same gender and little enough to be happy sharing) is actually really helpful. We just have one massive stash of stuff, but because it all belongs to both of them we rarely seem to have big gaps, they get reasonable choice, and it doesn't feel like we have loads. I do laundry every other day though, so that helps too. It isn't particularly well thought-out and is really just a collection of stuff I or they have liked and picked up and things we've been given as presents or hand-me-downs. I do also have a good clear out every 3 or so months and give lots away, and now we're expecting LO3 I'm hoping we'll get some newborn stuff back in return.

I think they have 4 pairs or jeans/cords, 6 summer dresses, 6 pairs of shorts, 4 winter dresses, maybe 4 skirts, 8 cardis/hoodies, 12-16 t-shirts (long and short sleeved) and tonnes of leggings, vests, socks, PJs and undies. For shoes and coats we tend to double up on the same ones in different colours or patterns so they each have sandals, canvas shoes, smart shoes, wellies and boots, a raincoat, summery jacket and winter coat.

Artandco Mon 18-Jul-16 10:23:15

Elodie- we have child one year apart who are now in Same clothing sizes. They pretty much have communal clothing also now

chocolatecakemakesmefat Mon 18-Jul-16 10:29:42

Far too much 3 massive drawers each plus a wardrobe full it's getting ridiculous now blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now