What cereal do you give your 1 year old?

(19 Posts)
Tinks15 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:23:03

Just wondering what everyone else does really? I want to vary it up a bit my DD likes weetabix & baby cereal but not sure if baby cereal suitable anymore.

DubiousCredentials Tue 12-Jul-16 13:44:28

My ds is nine and had had Weetabix every day of his life since he was six months grin

You could try mini shredded wheat soaked in milk - they are salt and sugar free. I see lots of parents giving dry Cheerios to babies and toddlers but they are far too sugary in my opinion. Also you could give porridge/ready brek.

NickyEds Tue 12-Jul-16 14:49:17

I've never given dd (almost one) baby cereal, she has weetabix, shreddies, mini shredded wheat or porridge. She also has crumpets, pancakes, toasted t cakes, scrambled eggs or beans on toast or fruit so she doesn't get bored.

TeaBelle Tue 12-Jul-16 14:51:24

Wheetabix, porridge (just normal oats), mini shredded wheat or cheerios

Tinks15 Tue 12-Jul-16 16:54:04

Thanks all. Going to give shredded wheat & normal porridge a try. Wish my DD would eat more fruit she very fussy when it comes to that sad

apatheticfallacy Tue 12-Jul-16 16:57:06

Either plain weetabix or normal oat porridge here since DS was six months

Artandco Tue 12-Jul-16 16:59:07

Regular Porridge

Also for breakfast at that age:
Greek yogurt, fruit, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, toast,

MumOnACornishFarm Tue 12-Jul-16 17:03:22

I wish my DS would eat cereal. He just wants the milk! And fruit by the lorry load.

KatyN Tue 12-Jul-16 17:49:16

Supermarket own cereal tends to be less sugary then own brand.
My daughter is 7 months and only have baby cereal because we are using it up. The hv said to give normal breakfast once she was eating normal fork mushed food. So then she'll be on wheetabix, porridge, rice crispies, Cheerios (unsweetened Sainso ones). I would just leave them a bit longer to mush.
K

UniversalTruth Tue 12-Jul-16 20:38:04

My dcs like muesli too (normal grown up muesli) if you can't be bothered to make want something other than porridge

skankingpiglet Tue 12-Jul-16 21:19:44

At 1yo DD1 was only having Weetabix and regular porridge as cereal options. We introduced shredded wheat and bran flakes from around 18mo. Shredded wheat would have been fine earlier but it isn't something we normally get, and bran flakes do have some sugar added which is why we waited to offer that. We've tried her on muesli too, but despite ordinarily being a human dustbin, she totally rejected it. At 2.1yo now she still only gets those options.

babyblabber Wed 13-Jul-16 12:08:44

Weetabix or ready brek.

Have also managed to wean the older ones off all "cereal" except bran flakes so they have weeks box or porridge, rice crispies on holidays only!

Lisad1975 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:12:45

Blueberry/raisin wheats are v popular with our 20 month old .
Loves weetabix too but why does it stick like glue ?!

nousernames Wed 13-Jul-16 12:19:08

Toast, porridge or wheetabix here.

Tinks15 Wed 13-Jul-16 13:57:30

I know it sounds silly, but does everyone just give plain weetabix or do you mix it with fruit etc?

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 13-Jul-16 14:07:01

14 month old has weetabix with banana, shreddies, Cheerios....she gets some nesquik balls mixed in with Cheerios or shreddies as a treat on Saturday mornings blush

poocatcherchampion Wed 13-Jul-16 14:15:27

What is baby cereal?

I give my 9mo shreddies or wheetabix cerrealwise but not often as they are too sugary and not that filling.

Normally I give porridge, home made granola or make pancakes.

DesignedForLife Wed 13-Jul-16 15:04:26

Try mixing some fruit into porridge, I often mash a bit of banana up and chop up a few strawberries and put into the porridge before cooking. DD loves it. You could easily do with any berries or soft fruit - chop finely or mash in, just remember that fruit gets hotter when cooked.

skankingpiglet Wed 13-Jul-16 16:42:35

poocatcher It's cereal without added salt and sugar which is packaged in tiny boxes and charged at x4 the price of regular cereal grin

Tinks15 Yep just plain Weetabix, she doesn't know it can come any other way! I did mix prune purée in once when she had just started weaning to help unblock her, but she mostly rejected it (a rare thing) and it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the other end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now