Over feeding baby

(14 Posts)
ladymelo Mon 11-Jul-16 07:19:58

Baby is two weeks old and we have been demand feeding .. I'm worried that I'm going to over feed baby but he takes it and tells me when he's had enough. Is it still possible to over feed in this case?

ladymelo Mon 11-Jul-16 07:24:26

As in could I just have s greedy baby?

DesignedForLife Mon 11-Jul-16 09:22:44

You're breastfeeding on demand? Not possible to over feed him, he will stop when he's had enough.

It's possible to over feed a bottle fed baby though, for example by wiggling the bottle when he slows down do that he takes more.

DesignedForLife Mon 11-Jul-16 09:24:39

www.nct.org.uk/parenting/breastfeeding-how-much-how-often

Bytheseabythesea Mon 11-Jul-16 09:27:53

Not possible to overfeed breastfeeding. Cluster feeding in first few weeks really common. Set yourself up with boxsets, lots of water within easy reach and plan to do nothing except feed your baby.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 11-Jul-16 09:31:44

There's no such thing as a greedy baby. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby, and cluster feeding is a way to build up your supply, not a sign that you don't have enough milk.

I second advice to set up on the sofa with a box set and relax.

ladymelo Wed 13-Jul-16 01:59:49

What about bottle fed baby?

HerRoyalFattyness Wed 13-Jul-16 02:14:00

People claim you can overfeed a bottle fed baby but I've had 3 all bottle fed and trust me if they don't want it they wont drink it.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Wed 13-Jul-16 15:00:05

I bottle fed my DD on demand and she's been on the same centile since birth. If she doesn't want the milk she will push the teat out with her tongue and smack the bottle away with her hand.

She mainly fed little and often, but sometimes a lot and often during a growth spurt.

Coconut0il Wed 13-Jul-16 15:13:52

At 2 weeks I would keep feeding on demand with both bf and ff. Some babies are hungrier, DS2 is bf but fed constantly for the first few months.

EchidnaPorcupine Wed 13-Jul-16 15:28:17

I think you can over feed a bf baby. I'm sure it won't do them any harm long term but with all mine I've found if I've fed when they were tired rather than hungry or fed too often in a short space of time I've ended up with a v uncomfortable baby - presumably reflux or indigestion - and lots of sick! So I try to space feeds out until they seem properly hungry and/or I can feel boobs filling with miłk again. Not making them cry with hunger obvs, just making sure I don't feed if they really need a sleep or something else.

I think some babies are good at knowing when they're hungry and when they're full, and others seem to not know what they want and confuse hunger/tiredness.

SpeakNoWords Wed 13-Jul-16 15:36:34

If you're doing paced bottle feeding and responding to your baby's cues then you're unlikely to be over feeding them. And of course you can get your baby weighed, and see if they are roughly following their centile curve.

(Also, breasts don't need to refill with milk, that's not how milk production works, and spacing out feeds artificially can reduce your milk supply.)

Jghl1234 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:30:28

I bottle fed my daughter and I over fed her she started puking everywhere and pooping I was a new mum and I took her the hospital where the doctors told me I should never feed on demand as babys may feel like they need a bottle but they just want conferrable I told them the midwife told us to feed on demand he basically told us they were talking crap and we shouldn't do it in the end we had to give her a dummy which we diddnt want to do sad xx

Chickpeachick0 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:36:25

If there is an oversupply issue breastfed babies can be over fed and actually gain too much weight . Is quite unusual but it does happen .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now