Car seats -any experts who can help me?

(7 Posts)
Anxiousone30 Sun 10-Jul-16 17:16:27

Hi all, I'm from the UK and been living abroad, I move back next month. I've looked up car seat laws in UK in order to attempt to order a new car seat. However, what if your child is at the weight limit of a group 1 car seat but is only 3, do they stay in the group 1, or progress to group 2? Help please 😳

isthistoonosy Sun 10-Jul-16 17:19:21

The weight is what matters the age is just a guideline but you should keep them in the smallest seat they fit into so a 15kg kid that can sit in stage 1 or 2 should be in a stage 1 unless they are too tall for it.

GherkinsOnToast Sun 10-Jul-16 17:21:59

How much does your DC weigh. 3 Point car seat belts don't trigger reliably below 15kgs so that may well answer your question. Age doesn't mater at all weight and height matter more. 5 point harness is always safer as long as he is under the 18kg limit and the tops of his ears are not above the top of the seat. You can buy seats that go from the 5 point harness to the high back booster, one of these may well be your best option.

Anxiousone30 Sun 10-Jul-16 17:28:56

Thank you so much. That's what I thought, it's just not made too clear when I look it up. She's just under 18kg, I think. I'm going to town today to get her weighed properly as I don't think my scales aren't accurate.

Anxiousone30 Sun 10-Jul-16 17:32:56

Are*

GherkinsOnToast Sun 10-Jul-16 18:04:09

In which case I'd go for a combination seat like the Britax Advansafix Group 1/2/3 or if you can afford it a 5 point harness to 25kgs like the Britax two way elite.

Anxiousone30 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:11:12

Thank you GherkinsOnToast, I will look those up. Safety is paramount so it's great to get recommendations. I'm totally out of the loop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now