WWYD? 11 month old ff decided to breastfeed

(9 Posts)
TheRedKeep Fri 08-Jul-16 21:53:26

My 11 month old was bf from birth-6 weeks. After that he's been ff and is now weaned on 3 meals a day + snacks.
Today he pulled my top down and was playing with and giggling at my boob hmm

Then he just latched on perfectly and started sucking. I've still had some drops of milk left but now I've had a bit more come out. He kept just latching and nursing for a while.

I didn't stop him but now I'm wondering if I should be encouraging this or not and do I stop him next time?

Has anyone else's dc done the same?

PotteringAlong Fri 08-Jul-16 21:54:15

Do you want to relactate?

TheRedKeep Fri 08-Jul-16 21:56:05

I don't think so. I think it's been a bit of a comfort thing but neither of us got on with bf before

catkind Fri 08-Jul-16 22:03:26

Wow, amazing he could still latch. Has he seen a baby feeding recently to make him think of it? Completely up to you if you want to let him continue or not I'd say. If not maybe wear a dress for a few days until he forgets again?
My DS re-latched at nearly 3 after being stopped for 6 months while I was pregnant. But at that age the memory is less surprising, and he was copying his new sister of course.

splendide Fri 08-Jul-16 22:12:48

My DS has just started up again after a 3 month break, he's 21 months. I was amazed he remembered. So pleased with himself too, sort of chuckling away to himself afterwards and signing milk milk milk.

I am quite pleased and emotional about it, he's just done it at bedtime a few nights now.

PlugUgly Sat 09-Jul-16 06:44:22

How lovely for you both, my eldest daughter bf until she was nearly three because I didn't want her to be jealous when my second was born (when she was only 14 months) They had a side each and had to stick to their own boob because the eldest was so efficient and quick the baby wouldn't have had a chance!

TheRedKeep Sat 09-Jul-16 09:35:26

He hasn't seen any other babies feed it was amazing how naturally it came to him I was a bit in awe.

It is lovely and I have now been reading up on relactating but not sure it's worth it now?

It will be a lot of work and he's moving towards less milk at the moment so I can't quite decide if the benefits are worth it anymore. He's been at it again this morning and I don't have a problem just letting him but actively trying to reestablish bf is it worth it at his age?

PlugUgly Sat 09-Jul-16 13:16:30

I don't think it will be a lot of work really as you aren't his main source of sustenance now, but will be lovely to snuggle up and let him feed from you for comfort if he wants to

splendide Sat 09-Jul-16 13:59:35

I would just be led by him rather than go all out relactating. It's a nice snuggly comfort thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now