14 week old won't feed properly

(7 Posts)
confusedlilly Thu 07-Jul-16 08:20:23

Abit of a long one sorry.. My ds is 14 weeks old was 10lb 13oz born so a big boy.. He doesn't seem to like formula?! The last two times he has been weighed he hasn't put on as much as he should have done. He has dropped from the 91st/98th centile to the 50th centile. I told the hv he has 25oz a day and even that's a struggle. They said for his weight he should be having a minimum of 30oz a day.
He sleeps through the night, so in the day he feeds every 3 hours so 5 bottles a day. He seems happy, he did suffer with colic but his episodes are less frequent now. He poos & wee's fine.the hv suggested I up his bottles to 7oz but he just won't take it. It's like I'm force feeding him.

So not to drip feed my daughter has cows milk protein allergy from birth but he is nothing like she was. He has no sickness, nappies are fine and no skin rashes etc like she had.
Anyone have any advice? I'm at a loss as why he doesn't want milk!

isthistoonosy Thu 07-Jul-16 10:39:10

Would you expect him to stay big given your and your partners heights?
The general advice now is feed on demand anyway rather than schedules and trying to keep them on specific percentile line.

Mine was the opp, born small and gainned weight too fast and my HV kept saying to give water, drop a feed etc but he knew how much he needed and after a few months he settled onto the right growth line for him and it fits to his dads height, rather than the line he was born on.
I'd assume the same for you baby, if he seems healthy and happy, hitting milestones etc just feed him what he wants.

confusedlilly Thu 07-Jul-16 14:41:13

He seems perfectly happy. In my opinion if he was hungry or upset over something he would be crying and not sleeping through the night. He just doesn't seem over fussed by milk. He weighed 15lb 13oz yesterday and doesn't look underweight. I suffer with mild anxiety and think the hv comments have sent me into over drive. I'm just going to go by him and if he isn't help I'm sure he will let me know X

Mummyme87 Fri 08-Jul-16 11:25:31

My son was born 10lb 5oz so also big and rapidly dropped down to the 50th centile and stayed between 50th and 75th centile. Just because they were big at birth does not mean they shouldn't continue to stay on that centile. If he seems happy, alert and active, pooing and weeing regularly I wouldn't be concerned at all

Mummyme87 Fri 08-Jul-16 11:26:20

Out of interest,
Did you have fluids through a drip during your labour?
Did you have gestational diabetes?
Was your first baby as big?

confusedlilly Fri 08-Jul-16 18:56:40

Sorry only just seen your post. My first was 9lb 6oz. I didn't have any fluid during labour and I didn't have Gd either. I had no warning either of my babies were going to be big. My dd was very long born and slim and she is still now the tallest in her class and slim. Ds was born with the length and chunky. I just feel this pressure from the hv to try and get more milk into him but that's actually making him unhappy, X

icklekid Sat 09-Jul-16 06:15:20

confused my ds was the same he never had as much milk as he 'should' and I got really stressed about it. You can't force him to though...I found the best times to feed successfully were straight after a nap so worth trying then if possible. I'm currently pregnant with dc2 and hoping to breastfeed for longer as then I didn't worry about how much they had (stopped when ds had a nursing strike for a week and got too anxious about that!) Overall I would like to be less anxious around the whole thing but not sure how realistic that is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now