My child won't stop looking at memes

(15 Posts)
Mememum69 Thu 07-Jul-16 00:59:36

I recently got my child and iPad (he is 13) but ever since getting it all he will talk about is dank memes, I've tried turning the Internet off and taking back the iPad but he goes into uncontrollable fits breaking furniture and he has even knocked himself unconscious, so I don't feel like this is the solution, is there a way to get him to stop looking at memes? Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm considering going to the doctor it's getting so bad. Thanks for the help anyone

Faez Thu 07-Jul-16 01:02:11

I love a good meme

Mememum69 Thu 07-Jul-16 01:04:28

These memes he's looking at are quite often very vulgar and he's learning a really rude attitude from them. I dont think he should be looking at them.

Faez Thu 07-Jul-16 01:08:19

You're going to have to post an example...

apatheticfallacy Thu 07-Jul-16 01:09:37

To be honest it sounds like you have bigger problems than the memes. What else is going on?

meowli Thu 07-Jul-16 01:16:59

I've tried turning the Internet off and taking back the iPad but he goes into uncontrollable fits breaking furniture and he has even knocked himself unconscious

I think I would address this first, ahead of the meme addiction. I don't actually know what a meme is blush, but it must be powerful stuff.

Faez Thu 07-Jul-16 01:25:38

Olden but golden

meowli Thu 07-Jul-16 01:33:48

Ah, I didn't know 'meme' was short for 'photo with amusing caption'!

LordyMe Thu 07-Jul-16 01:34:59

You need to read up about Internet and Apple parental controls. You can control what and when he accesses online. If you can't understand how to do this then get someone to help you.
His reaction sounds very extreme. Does he have any other issues?

JackieAndHyde4eva Thu 07-Jul-16 01:42:35

Eh memes are not your problem. Not even close! Your son's behaviour and your apparent lack of awareness of how worrying it is are far more urgent than memes.

Fwiw the ipad would be disappearing if he cant use it properly. But it sounds like you havent got the skills to back up that kind of discipline. Could you look at some parenting classes? Also your son has serious issues if he is breaking furniture and knocking himself out. Is this suddenly new or has he always been like this? Does he have issues in school?

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 07-Jul-16 08:28:31

he has even knocked himself unconscious

Do you realise this isn't considered normal behaviour?

yoink Thu 07-Jul-16 08:29:27

hmm

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 07-Jul-16 08:31:16

You need to post this a few more times across the board.

splendide Thu 07-Jul-16 08:37:43

How dank are these memes?

MiscellaneousAssortment Thu 07-Jul-16 08:38:14

You're worried about 'memes'?!

I think you need to prioritise.

Don't you think the rage ending in knocking himself out might be a little more important than the specific format of content he prefers?

And as for the online content he is accessing, you need to be in control of it, and instead of blaming 'dank memes' you do need to get a handle on your DS online behaviour and content.

I think you know this though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now