Son struggling with name calling from other kids about his mama

(9 Posts)
SeaEagleFeather Wed 06-Jul-16 16:12:51

Just that.

He's come home a couple of times crying because other kids have been saying "your mum is a shit" and other delights.

He can be wild and annoys the other kids but he's sensitive under it all and he's really upset. The other kids to be frank are not that nice; they've encouraged other younger kids to throw mud at him, they've thrown his stuff in the ditch and he's come home with torn trousers and nasty bruises. Mind you he's no angel either, but I dont think he'd go anywhere near this far ... he notably tends to get more beaten up than be a beater-upper.

The main thing is that I'm just not sure how to handle it other than lots of hugs and saying "look, this is them calling names, it isn't to do with either you or me personally". He's starting to be afraid to play outside. He really can't stand it if people attack his mum or his things.

We are moving in a year's time but until then any hints on what to say to him would be appreciated. I did manage to speak to one boy's mum and got an indifferent apology, but it's happened again and I'm short of ideas on how to reassure and help him handle it.

memememum Wed 06-Jul-16 20:39:54

I think the school would want to try and support your son through this and get involved in helping the other children change their behaviour. Most schools have strong anti bullying policies.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Wed 06-Jul-16 20:43:52

Is this happening at school?! At after school club?

This is not just name calling even if it was its bullying.

If there's any parents that are shit here it's those that can't control their kids?!

SeaEagleFeather Wed 06-Jul-16 21:17:41

It happened in school. Just got an email back from his teacher saying they will definitely speak to the other boy, this really isn't something they will accept.

There's nothing I can do about the local kids sigh. He doesn't recognise some of them and unfortunately, one of the local neighbours has taken a very strong dislike to me and has badmouthed me far and wide, and her sons have encouraged other kids to throw mud and call my son names (tbh I think she has some problems; I tried to resolve the differences with her but she literally shouted at me for an entire hour). Other kids have threatened to knife his football - in front of a 5 yo little girl too.

So I was hoping to find some strategies for helping him not be so hurt. At the moment he's afraid to go out, poor little boy. He's 8. I do say that it's really mean to say things like this and to avoid those kids, but it's not really enough. I will be very glad to move.

SeaEagleFeather Wed 06-Jul-16 21:18:51

sorry the last incident about being rude about his mum was at school. The other incident was with the other kids round here.

freetrampolineforall Wed 06-Jul-16 21:20:24

What the hell are the school playing at?

isthistoonosy Wed 06-Jul-16 21:24:30

Until someone more knowledgeable comes along, my dad always said names are like presents so if you don't like it, don't accept it and it stays with the giver.
Ok it only works in your head but made something's a bit easier for me as a child.
flowers

SeaEagleFeather Wed 06-Jul-16 21:36:23

Ill try that, istoonosy thanks

I wasn't very clear sorry. One incident was at school today. The school have said just now in a very late email (teacher must be working hard!) that they will deal with it, they find it very unacceptable. it's how to help him deal with the out-of-school incident. There is, in practical terms, not much I can actually -do- since I don't know many of the children and themother of the ringleaders quite literally makes a cats bum face when she sees me. I was warned about her when we moved in, but I really didn't realise how bad it was. I'm furious about how she's been towards my son.

SeaEagleFeather Wed 06-Jul-16 21:51:12

hints to help help him handle it in his head are great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now