Any experience of a 20 month age gap and advice?

(5 Posts)
Blondie87 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:05:26

I'm currently pregnant with DC2. Excited and nervous all at the same time! I have a 14 mo son and it took a while to conceive him so we started trying for number 2 when he was one thinking it would take ages but nope! We very fortunately managed much quicker with the added side effect of a much closer gap than I imagined!
Love DS to bits but I struggled in the early days although finding out much easier now. I'd love to hear from others who have had a similar gap with two under two, both in nappies etc and if you can impart any wisdom??

Toofondofcake Tue 05-Jul-16 16:09:56

Same thing happened to us conception wise and we have a 16 month age gap. It's great honestly.

Yes you are tired but because you are prepared for how the newborn days will be and its fresh in your memory it's easier the second time around. My DD1 took to the baby really well and we don't get many tantrums, well no more than you would expect from a 20mo.

I find that slings, co-sleeping and chocolate are sanity savers. Just go easy on yourself.

It's honestly actually harder bring 9 months pregnant with a toddler than having both of them most days.

CaptainCallisto Tue 05-Jul-16 16:11:52

I have a 20m gap between my two. It has been easier than I thought it would be! The early days were great, as DS2 would just lie on his baby gym or play in his bouncy chair, and DS1 could carry on as usual. We had a bit of a rocky patch when DS2 got mobile and started stealing eating toys, but they've pretty much learned how to run along well together now!

I'm not going to lie; having two in nappies wasn't great. Never ending cycle of changing! But it was manageable, and probably worse for us as DS2 had some undiagnosed bowel issues.

They're two and four now and it's lovely to see them playing together smile

Idontknowwhoiam Tue 05-Jul-16 16:12:30

I had a 20 month gap.
It was tough but they have an amazing relationship now.
I'd say to take help where you can.
Jealousy won't be as bad as you expect.
A double buggy is a must!

SecretSpy Tue 05-Jul-16 16:13:59

A day short of 21 months between mine.

Erm you will survive. Hope you like coffee <matchsticks>

They are both in school now and SO close, a really tight little team but it was a right slog to start with.

Top tips, don't try to potty train the eldest until they are really ready. They will always want to go on the potty as soon as you sit down to feed the baby.

Have a few playgroup /preschool sessions if finances allow, you may feel like the first had loads of one to one time and the second gets none.

In hindsight I wouldn't have bought an expensive double pushchair, I hardly used it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now