How to deal with baby biting

(7 Posts)
Nottalotta Mon 04-Jul-16 07:02:07

Ds is 11.5months, 6 teeth. Doesn't bite when I'm feeding him but constantly tries at other times. When I've picked him up or laying in bed.

I have been saying a firm 'no' every time but he just does it again, and my 'nos' are getting sharper. Its clearly not working, and I don't want him.leaening to ignore 'no' but don't elderly know what else to do.

He does bite others at times but it's mostly me.

SeaEagleFeather Mon 04-Jul-16 08:11:22

we had a baby box thing (1,5m square barred thing, I forget what it's called in the uk). Several toys, blanket lined. If he really refused to stop biting, we used to put our second in there for a minute. It took a long time for the message to get through though. He really was only just figuring out what 'no' meant too, so we had to give him an unpleasant consequence (no mama available for a minute) and eventually he connected 'no' with consequence.

Mind you'd given up bf'ing by then. Sharp teeth and an ability to listen to No was a bad combo.

Grassgreendashhabi Mon 04-Jul-16 08:17:55

Watching keenly as mine is doing that.

Nottalotta Mon 04-Jul-16 09:03:46

He seems to know what no means, he stops and looks at me. And if he's crawling towards the fireplace for example and I say no, he turns around. But he may not fully get it, so might try the putting him.in the playpen.

SeaEagleFeather Mon 04-Jul-16 14:10:39

okay. It did take time for him to realise but he got there in the end! I tended to tell no, you must listen to mama when she says No, now I'll be back in one minute. He could see me the whole time but I didn't pay him much attention.

Now he's 2 +, we put him on the stairs for 2 minutes but stay with him as he's out of sight there.

NeedACleverNN Mon 04-Jul-16 14:13:06

Mine went through that at about the same age. He is 16 months now and has mostly outgrown it. Occasionally he resorts to it if he is in a temper.
What worked for us was a sharp no and then either I walked away with no eye contact or touching or I would move him away and carry on what I was doing.

He didn't like that because for him, biting was for attention.

Nottalotta Mon 04-Jul-16 15:25:58

Yeah I wonder if the 'no' is some sort of positive response for him, as if it's a game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now