swimming with 2 year old

(16 Posts)
thebestthinginlifeisgrace Sun 03-Jul-16 14:29:53

My nearly 2 year old is fearless in or near water. She wouldn't think twice about jumping into a pool when we go swimming so I'm looking into different floatations aids.
What does everyone recommend?
I've seen both swimming costumes with floats in and also separate jackets with the floats. Our budget is about £25

Allyoucaneat Sun 03-Jul-16 14:37:19

Our swimming pool uses noodles, the swim teachers say this is because floatation aids like jackets or arm bands give yound children false confidence in the water. Whereas if you teach natural buoyancy then if they get in trouble they may be able to hold there head above water or get to the side of the pool themselves, long enough to get help.

My 18month old knows only to jump when there's an adult to catch him, he can also get himself back to the wall of the pool from about 2 foot away. I'd concentrate on these vital skills to be honest.

Allyoucaneat Sun 03-Jul-16 14:39:00

I think the swim finthat another one that they recommend (although don't use in lessons).

thebestthinginlifeisgrace Sun 03-Jul-16 14:53:51

Thanks for your advise. It's great your 18 month old is so well behaved that he won't jump in without someone there. My 2 year old however would not, so I'd much rather put some sort of float on her rather than her drown. The only alternative would be to not take her swimming until she's older and can listen more and understand, but that would be a real shame as she really loves the water.

Allyoucaneat Sun 03-Jul-16 15:06:41

Just stay near her then?

My son is far from well behaved he's just a typical toddler but we've taught water safety from a young age. And he'd never be far enough from me to run off near water.

downright Sun 03-Jul-16 15:35:10

I had one exactly the same. When we went on holiday I bought her a uv float suit which she was zipped into all day. It gave me peace of mind as she would have run off and jumped in the water at any moment given half a chance.

I'll look for a link...

downright Sun 03-Jul-16 15:37:38

This one from Splash About.

Not worth taking chances around water. Noodles and fins aren't going to help you if she buggers off and takes a running jump.

Ragwort Sun 03-Jul-16 16:13:12

Does she have swimming lessons, my DS was swimming by 18 months, he had been doing 'water activities' from 6 months. I think those flotation suits might give you a false sense of security. Why not ask a qualified swimming coach what they would recommend?

thebestthinginlifeisgrace Sun 03-Jul-16 17:45:28

Of course I stay near her! I'm hardly going to leave her unsupervised but it would only take her a second to fall in if I had to see to her sister etc.
Anyway I really wasn't asking for advice just recommendations for swimsuits! Thank you so much for the link downright I will look into them...

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 03-Jul-16 17:50:23

I have a similar 2 year old (we have done waterbabies since 8 weeks but she would still have a moment of madness and jump in so like you rightly say, best not to take any chances).
We're currently in Spain and using armbands but suits like the splash about ones are good.
Ignore the 'haven't they had lessons bleh bleh' brigade, better to be safe than sorry.

AppleMagic Sun 03-Jul-16 17:54:01

We're abroad and lots of people (us included) use these:

www.amazon.co.uk/Sevylor-Puddle-Jumper-Deluxe-Flotation/dp/B00HC8F0BM/ref=pd_lpo_200_bs_t_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=36AHG0CMTBXD3KNZM4FP

MintyLizzy9 Mon 04-Jul-16 06:37:45

My DS is like yours. He has a suit like the one downright has linked (mine is mothercare brand). The only problem I have with it is that he can tip forward in it, which is fine as he's just me and him and I'm always about one inch away from him! To be fair I think that's all it is meant to do and is more of a swim aid rather than a safety device. It also goes a bit bigger when wet and rides up so floats are under his chin even though I have to shoehorn him into it when it's dry!

I've seen those puddle jumpers in Costco recently but they only had princess design left, might look into buying on Amazon as they look like they will keep heads above water a bit better.

MrsRaegan Mon 04-Jul-16 06:41:33

We use a swimfin in the water. They're brilliant! But agree a suit might be better if for holidays where he might take a running jump into the water x

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Mon 04-Jul-16 06:41:44

My dd loves the swim fins, she likes pretending to be a shark! She had one around 2yo and they gave her enough buoyancy to keep her hear above water.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Mon 04-Jul-16 06:43:49

*head not hear.
She did like ducking under and coming back up when she jumped in though.

lucy101101 Mon 04-Jul-16 06:44:40

I found the suits mean they can tip forward and struggle to get their head out of the water. We are using armbands as we also have a totally fearless one.... however I do agree that they give a false sense of security (and have heard this before) so we are gong to take them away at the end of the summer and move onto noodles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now