Having a baby after having Hyperemesis

(6 Posts)
Kayleighann Sat 02-Jul-16 13:57:45

Hi we are currently ttc our third baby. I had Hg with my second baby and spent half of my pregnancy in hospital. We did say no more children but 6 years later here we are ttc.
This month I really thought I was pregnant and rather than be excited I was terrified! My af was a day late. I was to scared to do a test. I felt like I was having a panic attack at the thought of going through it all again. My AF arrived the nxt day. I'm so confused as to what I should do. I really want another baby but am terrified of being so poorly again. I'm now debating if I should stop ttc 😔
Anyone else had HG and gone on to have another baby or had HG and decided not to have any more?
Xx

Peachesandcream15 Sun 03-Jul-16 19:52:32

No real advice for you but I had hg with my DD. At the time I said no more, she can be an only child but now I know I want another. But I too am terrified of having hg again. I suspect I will put myself through it again.

Just a thought, have you tried posting on a different board? Maybe the pregnancy board? There is/was a great hg support thread there.

Popalina Sun 03-Jul-16 20:00:01

Hi,
I had Hg with both my babies. I guess after the first one, I held out some hope that I might not get it with my second but knew deep down I would as I also had Hg with my first pregnancy (before 1st child) that ended in a MC.

I so desperately wanted a second child that I was willing to go through it again. It was unfortunately worse than the previous time but of course it was worth it. I will say though that it has definitely put paid to having a third which I would have if I didn't have Hg but I can't put myself or my family through it again.

I had a dream the other night that I was pregnant and I felt nothing but dread of the Hg!

I don't know how to advise you other than to go with your gut. Sorry to not be more helpful. Hg is bloomin awful and certainly enough to make anyone think twice.

SeaEagleFeather Sun 03-Jul-16 20:08:11

Anyone else had HG and gone on to have another baby or had HG and decided not to have any more?

yes.

Plase do look at this Mumsnet thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2631177-Hyperemesis-Support?pg=36

it's run by the most lovely woman, lucindaE and people there have a wealth of knowledge and support each other to the hilt. No such thing as TMI either!

The core of preparation: find yourself an HG aware doc before the preg. See if they'll put you on at least cyclizine early; there's some evidence that starting meds early takes the edge off the worst. Find out how supportive your hospital is, although you might know already!

Will your partner / mother / very close friend help advocate for you if necessary?

Put weight on before you start trying - good nutritious food, minimum alcohol; try to build yourself up for what's coming. Get Ketostix for monitoring your dehydration levels.

arrange childcare if you think you'll need it. I did; no way could I have handled our first during the 2nd preg.

And again, do look at that thread and at the pregnancy Sickness Support website. Both are excellent.

SeaEagleFeather Mon 04-Jul-16 08:25:21

Also it might be an idea to talk to someone at the Preg Sickness Support helpline. It sounds like you're terrified of it (100% get that!) and talking it through with someone on the phone there might help. You always have to leave a message then they will get back to you.

Number's on the HG thread in the OP.

Coconut0il Tue 05-Jul-16 12:16:46

Excellent advice above. Definitely be prepared before it happens. After DS1 it took me 12 years to risk being pregnant again. I was much worse second time round and really only coped as DS1 was older and DP took over everything. Now DS2 is here I can look back and it was definitely worth it but I could never do it again.
The hyperemesis support thread is brilliant too. Good Luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now