Recurring rash around EBF baby's mouth

(8 Posts)
mnpeasantry Thu 30-Jun-16 16:59:54

Any advice appreciated!

My 10 week old EBF baby often gets a short lived red rash around her mouth in the form of little spots. Can be gone in a couple of hours.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be an allergy to something I'm eating? I understand that it can be hard to identify a food intolerance, so it would be handy to narrow it down.

MiniLop Thu 30-Jun-16 17:12:35

Could it be anything you have on your skin, perfume, moisturiser, nipple cream perhaps? Hives is a common sign of a food intolerance but that usually appears on the cheeks, not around the mouth.

Coconut0il Thu 30-Jun-16 17:20:34

My DS2 used to get something like this, the HV told me it was like a heat rash where his skin was touching mine and getting sweaty. He's 10 months now and still bf but doesn't get it anymore

mnpeasantry Thu 30-Jun-16 17:24:49

Thanks for your answers

Minilop I'm not wearing perfume or using nipple cream or moisturiser at the moment but I do kiss her around her mouth so could be make up.

mnpeasantry Thu 30-Jun-16 17:25:17

Thanks CoconutOil. That's reassuring

Florentina27 Thu 30-Jun-16 23:46:25

Hi, my dd had hives around the mouth when we just started solids and it was because of cows milk. Next time she digested more from porridge which I didn't realise it had powder milk in and she had a really severe allergy. Usually hives comes from food allergy and because your DC gets it from breast milk I will be very careful when started solids. Dairy is the most common allergen in babies, followed by eggs. My DD had eczema from my breast milk only, but from digesting actual dairy gave her anaphylaxis which can be life threatening sadly. Pediatrician told me they only get about 20% from what you eat. Hope is nothiny in your case though. Ask your GP about giving up dairy si he could five you some vitamins. I would just try. It takes 2,3 weeks to bet out of your system so it can be challenging. You will have to check products for ingredients, not just milk and cheese.

mnpeasantry Fri 01-Jul-16 08:50:43

Thank you Florentine. That's really useful.

HandWash Fri 01-Jul-16 09:04:29

As others have said it could be allergy related.

My son was ebf (with no issues that I noticed) and the first food I gave him at 6 months was a yoghurt. After eating the yoghurt he had hives everywhere the milk had touched. I avoided milk after that and used an alturnative.

However what I didn't realise was that being allergic to milk made him high risk to having other allergies, in our case nuts. So just be very careful when you start weaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now