Do you offer solids before or after milk?

(10 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Jun-16 12:02:01

Hi all,

This week I started weaning my 6 month old son on puréed veg/fruit. Seems to be going well so far... I was just wondering if you offered solids before or after milk and how long before/after. We are currently having one 'meal' a day (a few teaspoons) at lunch time after his 12.30 bottle. Curious as to what others do and why and if it changed as they stared eating more/more often.
Thanks very much.

NickyEds Thu 30-Jun-16 15:32:17

With ds (my first) I had rather an elaborate system of organising his solid and milks feeds. I think I used to do solids an hour-90minutes before a milk feed. He was about 8-9 months before he dropped any milk feeds. With dd I put her in the high chair and threw her some crumpet/beans in toast/fruit/porridge/whatever ds was having whenever ds ate! Dd started reducing the duration of bf really quickly then dropped them altogether by 9 months. Try not to fret about when the solids are, give a little taste of whatever you're having when you have it- he'll still get plenty of nutrition from milk so don't worry about how much he eats either.

Caterina99 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:08:56

At first we did about an hour after milk. That's what I was advised, as they aren't too hungry and so will try new things. Once we'd got up to a couple of meals a day I dropped one of his bottles. That then meant he increased his solids as he was hungry. Some people did before milk though, so I guess it depends on what works for your lo

TheLittlestBear Thu 30-Jun-16 20:11:00

I have received mixed advice. I'm offering food first and then milk afterwards. Has food in the morning, around lunchtime and then at about 5.30. He has a bottle at 9, 1ish, 4ish and then 7 before bed. And then a dream feed.

KatyN Thu 30-Jun-16 22:10:21

I do solids in between milk feeds, at a time convenient to me, so
6:30 milk
9ish breakfast
10:30 milk
1:30/2 lunch
2:30 lunch
4 dinner
6:30 milk.
I found it hard to squeeze everything in with a nap for 1.5 he in the morning and 2 he at lunch but she's happy at the minute.
She's edging towards dropping her 10:30 milk as she doesn't take much but I'll keep offering for a while still.
She is 6 months but has gone for weaning in a big way
K

JasperDamerel Thu 30-Jun-16 22:12:27

I bf whenever DS wanted, but also let him sit on my lap and share my food. Once he was eating reasonable amounts, he got to sit in a high chair and have his own plate.

Florentina27 Thu 30-Jun-16 23:19:14

As he just started solids I would give milk first and after or after 30 min or so offer a bit of solids, they relay on milk when they are hungry, he is just learning to eat and experiences tastes and textures, if you give solids when he is actually hungry he would vet frustrated. When he becomes better at it and eats more of the solid food you can offer milk as snack between meals, morning and bedtime. I wouldn't worry too much about it until he is 8 mo. Until 1 they are meant too have quite a fair bit of milk

RudeElf Thu 30-Jun-16 23:22:55

Food is for fun before one wink

Milk should be making up most of their calorie intake until they are a year old with food basically just to get used to tastes and textures.

minipie Thu 30-Jun-16 23:24:26

Yeah what Nicky said. DD1 - food an hour after milk. PITA to fit everything in. DD2 - food whenever I got a chance. No noticeable difference!

I think if you have a child who is very unenthusiastic about food, or conversely much too enthusiastic, then you have to be a bit careful about timing but if not then it doesn't really matter.

Summerdays2014 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:11:08

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try an hour after midday milk but not be too precious about it all. There seems to be a lot to fit in now, especially as he will only have 30 minute naps and gets cranky after 2 hours unless I put him down... Hoping the naps will increase in length and decrease in amount soon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now