meningitis B vaccine

(11 Posts)
Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 13:00:58

Hi

My baby was born in May 2015 and therefore qualified for the 'catch up' men b vaccine for those born in May and June 2015.

When I took him for his 16 week vaccines the nurse was quite clear that he would be getting the men b vaccine with his next round of immunizations at 13 months. She made a point of telling me that he would be getting 2 injections in each leg.

Well we want for his 13 months imms today and was told it was just mmr . I queried this and said as he was born in May 2015 he was eligible for men b. The nurse said it should have been done before he was 1!

I'm so annoyed he's missed out and can't afford to go private. Anyone else has this issue?

FadedRed Tue 21-Jun-16 13:32:03

FYI The one year imms are recommended from 12 not 13 months. A few years ago it was 13 months, but that changed to 12 months approx 2/3 years ago.
Your baby should receive MMR, Hib/Men C, Pneumococcal and Men B.
you can search the NHS child immunisation schedule online.
If your baby was just given MMR you need to go back for the other three vaccinations. The Bexsero vaccine is licenced for use from 2 months old, with no upward age limit (though no research evidence for use in over 50 years old!).

FuzzyOwl Tue 21-Jun-16 13:34:40

My DC was also born in May 2015 and had four injections as part of her 12 month vaccinations. One of them was definitely MenB - she had two injections in one arm, one in the other arm and one in the leg.

FadedRed Tue 21-Jun-16 13:35:00

Sorry posted too soon.
If the nurse said it was just MMR, then the nurse is wrong.
I work as a Practice Nurse and give these immunisations.
Please take this up with the Practice Manager if the nurse is giving the wrong information.

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 13:59:42

Thanks I'll check on that. I was told by the health visitor that the 1 year imms were at 13 months....the other thing that annoys me is that no letters are sent reminding you to book in for them. Are we meant to just be psychic? Would be get no immunizations if I didn't remember?

FuzzyOwl - had your dd had any men b injections prior to this?

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 14:15:59

Just checked FadedRed - he was given all the imms you mentioned. In the red book they are all under the heading of Mmr vaccination so I guess this is how all 3 are genetically referred to? Anyway, has had them so it's ok!

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 14:16:40

*Generically

FadedRed Tue 21-Jun-16 14:56:25

Different GP practices have different methods of getting patients in for immunisations, long term illness reviews etc. Some send an appointment, some send a reminder to make an appointment, some wait until a certain length of time has passed then 'mop up' those who haven't attended by for instance 18 months old. Depends on what works best for the practice. The service commissioners and inspectors and Public Health England will 'have words' with practices that have a poor uptake, and practices get payments based of percentage take up.
The Red Books are batch printed and the immunisations section gets quickly out of date when immunisation schedules changes occur between printings. As your child gets older, the book is likely to not have some of the newer changes in it, which have to be written in by the immuniser at the time. So they are a good record of what your child has been given, but not always helpful as a reminder of when you should be expecting your next appointment iyswim.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 21-Jun-16 14:58:44

EachPeach I'm sure you would have got a 'you haven't immunised your kid, it's really important' patronising 'reminder'... They can send those but they can't send pre-emptive reminders! Gets my goat.
DS was born May 2015 and had one injection in each limb the week after his bday.
Sorry your surgery is so shit!!

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:08:37

Crisis over! They have agreed to give it to him next week. There must be a lot of other may/June babies in this situation though.

FuzzyOwl Tue 21-Jun-16 17:03:34

Yes, she had the MenB at 16 weeks as well.

Glad it all seems sorted now and he will get it next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now