At what age did your baby start babbling?

(16 Posts)
NoCapes Tue 21-Jun-16 09:31:17

DS2 is 7 months now and doesn't babble atall
When he makes noise it's just one continuous "aahhhh" he kind of hums when he's upset or he blows raspberries and that's about all the noise he makes (except crying obvs!)

My 5 year old had a speech delay so isn't comparable and I can't really remember how old the 6 year old was but I'm fairly certain he was starting to make "mamamam" "bababab" kind of noises by now

My friend has a baby just over a month older who says a couple of different words and can even say "how big" shock
I know that's fast but it's got me thinking, should DS be saying more by now?

NoCapes Tue 21-Jun-16 11:35:59

Bump

Sorry I know it's a really boring one blush

thegoldenlemon Tue 21-Jun-16 11:43:56

Hi my ds is seven months old and has been babbling for a month dadadadada mumumum suhsuhsuh. Interested to see what the range is.

baffledmummy Tue 21-Jun-16 11:46:45

I think that sounds fine? We got lots of "ahroooo" type sounds and raspberries around 6 months but no mamama dadada stuff until 9.5 months...and not yet used in context at 11 months. I'm not worried as DD is the same as her peers from our nct group...they are all about the same.

NoCapes Tue 21-Jun-16 13:08:54

Quite a difference between the two replies so far, interested to hear of any more?

Artandco Tue 21-Jun-16 13:11:46

Over 1 year I think. Both didn't really say actual words until 2 years. Babbled between 1-2 years

By 2.5/3 years both spoke very clearly in two languages.

I think some just shout out the first words, where as others babble longer then speak sentences quicker. So by 3 years most are all at the same level regardless

MakeLemonade Tue 21-Jun-16 13:18:12

7 month old DD here and we have had babbling for a month or so, baba mama dada and nana sounds are now used frequently. I sometimes think she's using the mama in context but imagine it's probably coincidence!

My older DD was 12 months plus though, she was super early at crawling and walking though. I'm sure there is a saying about either having a walker or a talker.

DubiousCredentials Tue 21-Jun-16 13:20:29

Ds didn't babble. I was concerned but was poo-pooed by health visitors etc. He didn't poke his tongue out or blow raspberries either. In the end I sought a private diagnosis resulting in three years of speech therapy due to oral dyspraxia hmm

Dd was babbling away at 8mths. No issues.

I wouldn't be worried in your case though as 7mths is very young. It is hard to be objective when previous dc have had issues though flowers

sianihedgehog Tue 21-Jun-16 13:27:36

Very young. Maybe 16 weeks? He was an EXTREMELY social baby, didn't roll over until he was much older but was trying out all sorts of sounds very early and clearly delighted with the reactions he got. He's now 10 months and makes a much wider variety of babbling noises, and seems to be able to control them more, but still hasn't got any words and is just babbling. I think it probably all evens out in the end in most cases, but if you're worried why not pop in to see your health visitor?

Caterina99 Tue 21-Jun-16 18:22:47

Probably around 7 months, he started with the dada etc. he's 12 months now and still just babbles, but he walks (and runs) really well so I guess that's where his focus went!

swelchphr Tue 21-Jun-16 18:59:42

My son is 8 months old now. At about 6 months, he started saying his first word (dada), but it wasn't until last month that he began really babbling. Now, it's like he's holding little nonsense conversations with himself. smile

NoCapes Tue 21-Jun-16 20:52:29

Thankyou for the replies smile

DS is standing unaided, walking along furniture and walking with a push along walker already, so maybe the saying about having a walker or a talker is true - he's clearly a walker

Dubious thankyou, I am being extra vigilant I think because DD's issues were ignored for so long and she still struggles to be understood sometimes now at 5, so I think I may be projecting a little bit onto DS and maybe just need to relax and wait

Thanks all so much!

Ps 16 weeks hedgehog wowsers that is young!

smile

dabofriojakitten Tue 21-Jun-16 21:25:07

My dd is 7m and mostly just aaahs and blows rapsberries, I have heard some mmmms and gagagagaga but they're mainly when she's winding down in her cot to go to sleep.

Jasperkiss5 Tue 21-Jun-16 21:43:23

7 months she started to become vocal, by 8 months she became really vocal.

SweetBerries Wed 22-Jun-16 16:30:53

I'm much like @Sianihedgehog - My DS was babbling at 15/16 weeks and can go on for ages now at 5 months (6 mo next week). He mimics 'hello' because it's what we say to him most. HOWEVER he only rolls over one way now and is struggling with his sitting up, so it just goes to show you that some babies are naturally more social and others are physically brilliant! And then there's some that master the lot! It will come smile

cocochanel21 Wed 22-Jun-16 16:48:53

DD2 is 7mths she does babble away to herself but has no words as yet.

DD1 I can't remember as it was 23YEARS AGO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now