Please talk to me about buggy boards vs getting a double buggy!

(38 Posts)
KitKat1985 Sun 19-Jun-16 09:44:46

Hello. So am expecting DC2 in November. DD is currently 21 months. We already have a complete Joie travel system (car seat, pram cot and buggy which all inter-connects; plus we have all the isofix kits for the car seats) which we have been very happy with. DD will be about 26 months when DC2 arrives and whilst she can walk reasonable distances right now, she obviously can't walk long distances so may well need to be transported still at times (plus sometimes if I'm in a bit of a rush I don't have time for her to dawdle and / or sometimes I'd like her to have a nap in her buggy). I was thinking about getting a double buggy for a toddler and a newborn (I.E, the ones that has a toddler seat in one and a pram cot in the other). However DH thinks it's a shame that this would mean our current travel system is essentially going to be wasted (at least until DD is old enough to not need a buggy anymore) and that putting a buggy board on the back of our current buggy for DD may be a better idea. I can see the logic (and frankly we could do with not having to spend ££s on a new buggy system), plus I'm not even sure if a bigger buggy would fit in our cars (and there's definitely no chance we afford to change cars right now). It's also been suggested that if I get a baby carrier as well that I can still put DD in the buggy if she needs a nap / starts running off etc and I can just carry the baby in the carrier. However re: buggy boards do you not trip over them the whole time as surely they will be right under your feet when you are walking? Also are they easy to connect and disconnect when having to fold the buggy down to put in the boot of the car? Can I ask what you did re: transporting a toddler and a new baby and what you found easiest?

helenlove Sun 19-Jun-16 09:48:14

22 month gap here and DS loved the buggy board from the beginning. It is a bit annoying as you have to walk a certain way. Also used a connecta a lot if DS wanted a sit down rest. I think a double would be useful if you live somewhere where you do a lot of walking. But otherwise sling and buggy board have worked a treat for us.

RNBrie Sun 19-Jun-16 09:53:11

I hated the buggy board. It made the buggy almost impossible to steer and the weird way you have to walk made my back hurt. We walk almost everywhere and rarely drive so it just didn't work for me.

My dd was 2.5 when the second was born so a bit older. She was a competent scooter so she mainly used that to get around. I towed her with a scoot'n'pull if she got tired.

Dd2 will be 23mo when dc3 is born so I've bought a double buggy, she can scoot but isn't stable enough to tow and still needs naps in the buggy.

Sold single bugaboo on Gumtree for the same I paid for it (it was second hand when I bought it) and bought second hand double buggy from Facebook. Very little financial outlay!

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 09:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chloechloe Sun 19-Jun-16 10:00:21

Afraid I can't help but I'll be watching this with interest as we'll have 21 months between nrs. 1 and 2. Am a bit reluctant to get a double but not sure if I'll manage without one.

megletthesecond Sun 19-Jun-16 10:00:55

Buggy boards stop you from taking proper strides and lean forwards, really bad for posture ime. The one I borrowed lasted for a few minutes until I got fed up and came back home to take it off.

Doubles are great. Means the older dc can ride (cold whingy days) or toddle. And more shopping space.

PlanBwastaken Sun 19-Jun-16 10:03:56

Don't underestimate the advantage of being able to strap in a recalcitrant toddler, is all I'm saying...

Also, as PP said you can sell your existing buggy and buy a double second hand, the difference shouldn't be that big.

lornathewizzard Sun 19-Jun-16 10:04:57

We've got DC2 on the way, 2 year gap. We've bought a double buggy as there will always be situations where I could do with them both being strapped in. My Dd isn't exactly a bolter but she does like to actually be going places if she's out her buggy. Just not practical with a newborn to push too I don't think, not when I'm on my own anyway. Fine if you have someone with you.
We have bought a Phil and Teds Navigator for £200 on eBay, seems a pretty good buy.

trilbydoll Sun 19-Jun-16 10:09:49

I've got a 2y age gap exactly. I was given a Babyjogger side by side and used it pretty much every day for 9m.

DD1 is a bit lazy and you can't make her walk if she doesn't want to. And f she's tired, she doesn't want to stand on the buggy board, she wants to sit down. She also didn't have her scooter until about 2y7m - she got really good on it quite quickly.

I could have managed with baby in sling and dd1 in pushchair at first when dd1 still napped but tbh if they're both asleep I want to be able to sit in a coffee shop and relax and I can't do that with 6kg strapped to my front!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 19-Jun-16 10:19:06

23 month gap here. Tried the buggy board and HATED it. As others said, it alters your stride and it gave me backache. I also used to whack the front of my shins on it sometimes. If you stop somewhere like a cafe it's a tripping hazard for people trying to get by but if you hook it up out of the way and take baby out of pushchair it can tip the whole thing over backwards.

Sling and pushchair was not better for me either, again it altered my posture when pushing the pram, made me too hot (even though DC2 was a winter baby) got in the way all the time - I hated slings nearly as much as buggy boards.

We sold our original travel system and bought a Phil and Teds - absolutely brilliant and used as a single for as long as DC2 needed a buggy.

KitKat1985 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:29:06

Hmm your answers have generally confirmed what my anxieties are re: the buggy board. Both me and DH have bad backs and I'm worried that the buggy board is just going to make walking comfortably really awkward due to the awkward posture you have to take with a buggy board being right under your feet. I think I'm leaning more towards a double buggy at this point, although DH is more keen on the buggy board option.

Are double buggies a nightmare to fit in car boots though? Are they much bigger than a single when they fold down?

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:30:06

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 19-Jun-16 11:09:31

My Phil and Teds was one of the older ones, 10 years ago, it was a bit cumbersome for getting in and out of the car, the weight as much as the size, but modern versions may well be lighter/easier. We had moved DC1 onto a Maclaren buggy before DC2 was born so we kept that for days out in the car where not too much walking was involved, with sling as a backup and used the P&T mainly when walking from home, which was the bulk of our usage.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 19-Jun-16 11:10:53

My only regret is not getting the P&T before or as soon as DC2 was born, I faffed about with buggy boards, slings, travel system, Maclaren for a few months first, it was a revelation when we switched to it.

Artandco Sun 19-Jun-16 11:13:50

We have a 15 month gap. Didn't get a double as a pain for using on buses/ trains/ planes and storage in flat. The buggy board ( bugaboo one), was great, and we used a sling a lot.

In fact locally we usually just have second in sling and elder on reins and no pram at all as I found them more a pain than not. On long days out either Dh and I had a sling each with elder in back carry, or smaller in sling and buggy for elder was fine. Could swap baby into pram when toddler walked

2nds Sun 19-Jun-16 11:17:08

I never used a buggy board as DC1 was only 15 months old when DC2 was born, having said that here's my 2p worth.

Double buggies are great for when you have to change a nappy and you want to keep the older child from running off or walking around the public toilet touching everything

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 11:23:38

uhoh2016 Sun 19-Jun-16 19:30:11

I'd get a double for when you need to go a great distance or shopping then dc1 can be strapped in. Maybe use the travel system with a buggy board for short walks or going to the park. No reason you can't use both

KitKat1985 Sun 19-Jun-16 20:13:52

Hello. Thank you for all of your advice. Will definitely look into the Phil and Ted's buggies. Thank you - you've all been very helpful. smile

babyblabber Sun 19-Jun-16 20:15:10

I've a 2.5 year age gap between no 1&2 and same between 2&3 & I've managed with just a buggy board both times.

DS is and always was a great walker so he only needed the buggy board for around 6 months, if even. DD1 just turned 4 and still would rather go on it than walk. If I'd known how different she was and that 1.5 years later she'd still be on it, I would have definitely gotten a double. As mentioned you could sell your travel system and buy a 2nd hand double.

Very early days but all going well DD2 will be just gone 2 when number 4 arrives and I am getting a double for sure.

iliketeaalot Sun 19-Jun-16 20:20:45

My ds was 28 months when dd was born in March. We talked about buggy boards but actually have found that he's normally alright on his balance bike for the distances that I do with him and his sister. Occasionally I get moans of 'mummy, carry' but normally he's pretty good, saying that, he refused his pushchair from about 18 months and got his bike not long after so has had quite a while to get the hang of it...

TooMinty Sun 19-Jun-16 20:38:49

23 month age gap here. We did Moby wrap and buggy for the first couple of months then buggy with buggy board - which we are still using with 3.5 year old but about to retire it as the combined weight is a struggle uphill and on some shop floors with anti-slip surfaces. Friends with the same age gap used Phil and Teds though and thought it was great when they were both in the pram but a buggy board is better when the bigger one won't go in the pram because "I'm not a baby, mummy!" but walks too slowly or gets tired.

vdbfamily Sun 19-Jun-16 21:25:12

I would recommend a sling. I had 3 close together so when my 3rd was born I had a 20m old and a 3.5 year old. I never had a double buggy but did use a sling for months with 2nd and 3rd.

Artandco Sun 19-Jun-16 21:40:06

Def do get a decent sling or two even if you use a double pram outside more. With two under two it's handy to be able to pop baby in sling and be hands free more.

Especially handy for dinner time when you want to finish dinner, eat, and toddler is tired also. And there will be many places you find being able to follow toddler easier if baby is attached and can be semi forgotten about.

Oh one tip. Keep a changing may in bathroom. My toddler decide to toilet train himself at 16 months when newborn ds2 was tiny. So is convient to dump baby on Mat whilst you help eldest. Same in and out baths etc

KitKat1985 Mon 20-Jun-16 13:35:27

That's a good tip thank you Artandco. DD is currently 21 months and hasn't shown any interest in toilet training yet, but I think around the time she turns 2 I'm going to give it a try. (Crosses fingers).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now