weaning onto solids

(102 Posts)
Feelingsolow12345 Sat 18-Jun-16 11:02:32

when did you start your little ones onto solids?

BertrandRussell Sat 18-Jun-16 11:05:04

At 6 months. As has been the official recomendation for many up years now.

<waits for the onslaught of "oh it's always changing">

alphaechokiwi Sat 18-Jun-16 11:05:16

6 months. Unless recommended by a medical professional it is currently thought best to wait until baby is 6 months old before introducing solids.

Coconut0il Sat 18-Jun-16 11:08:03

I waited till 6 months with DS2. Lots of my friends started their children earlier but I don't understand why. Bf is much cheaper and easiergrin

Hopelass Sat 18-Jun-16 11:08:03

5.5 months <ducks>

Feelingsolow12345 Sat 18-Jun-16 11:18:23

I'm only asking cause my HV mentioned it yesterday as he's not putting on a lot of weight due to him using all his energy cause he's got eczema. she went to start him on pears and apples. boil them then mash them up

whatsthatnow Sat 18-Jun-16 11:25:32

How old? My latest started finger foods and the odd teaspoon of porridge or yoghurt at 4 months. She is a real chunky monster and my health visitor told me to go ahead and start letting her try foods. She is just over 5 months now and feeding herself at every meal time as well as breast fed lots in between times. I don't think any of my 5 have waited until 6 months. 5 months is the latest I have waited I think. They all eat any food they are given now and have no problems with allergies (apart from the one that couldn't tolerate cows milk protein since birth) or growth issues. If health visitor is advising and you are happy for him to start trying new tastes then go for it

alphaechokiwi Sat 18-Jun-16 11:34:46

With all due respect to your HV, your baby is not going to get more calories or better nutrition from a few spoonfuls of stewed pears rather than milk. I'm not sure this advice is well thought through. I would double check with my GP first. Babies still get most of their nutrition from milk for months after starting solids.
Sorry your LO is suffering from eczema... i hope you are getting good support and advice re treatment and management of it.

Coconut0il Sat 18-Jun-16 11:36:01

If that is the HV advice and you are happy with it then I agree with above, go for it!

Feelingsolow12345 Sat 18-Jun-16 11:42:15

I've been told to stay away from high allergy food and milk based products as he's on lactose free milk at the moment. he's under a dietitian cause of his allergy to milk.

whatsthatnow Sat 18-Jun-16 11:44:44

Is he breast or bottle fed? My lb with cows milk issues had terrible eczema as a baby and does now if he manages to find anything he's not supposed to eat. It is all diet related and hayfever related, his eczema gets much worse in high pollen season. If you're not happy to start on a bit of fruit it might be worth looking at reducing the eczema in other ways. With not much weight gain and eczema is be looking at changing formula (or cutting out dairy yourself if you are breastfeeding) and seeing if improvement that way. Will take a couple of weeks to have some effect though

whatsthatnow Sat 18-Jun-16 11:45:07

Sorry, complete cross post there smile

Feelingsolow12345 Sat 18-Jun-16 11:58:51

he's been changed to cow and gate pepti junior and his skin has completely changed. I think I'll try him on some mashed up pear and go from there.

another reason why she mentioned it was he's not taking his full bottle all in one go so she thinks he wants something else. he's tall and heavy for his age.

Jelliedeels Sat 18-Jun-16 12:10:31

Mine was 5 months. But at 1 year she is still have 2 X 8oz of formula in morning and evening and juice in day. Although she drinks her formula In Stages , never all at one ,

Her food eating is awful. Not proper dinners just picks a bit of this and that.

WellErrr Sat 18-Jun-16 12:22:52

6 months. How old is yours?

Pears and apples won't help with weight gain, they'll just fill him up so he takes less milk.

WellErrr Sat 18-Jun-16 12:24:20

my HV mentioned it yesterday as he's not putting on a lot of weight

he's tall and heavy for his age.

These two statements contradict each other smile

If he's tall and heavy for his age then why does he need more?

RiverTam Sat 18-Jun-16 12:29:30

Pears are mainly water so they are not going to be anything like as calorific as milk. Your HV is talking nonsense.

Feelingsolow12345 Sat 18-Jun-16 13:04:17

he's on the 75th line and now he's dropped to the 50th. I know it's not much but it's a drop.

she recommended pears and apples cause they're the least allergenic food. I'm a new mum so I'll probably believe anything what they tell me.

Luckystar1 Sat 18-Jun-16 13:15:53

I waited until 6 months and then did baby led weaning (or baby led throwing food on the floor).

My DS was 75th centile from birth and was exclusively breast fed until we started weaning. He also has bad eczema. Weaning made zero difference to any of these things (in fact, if anything he probably lost weight initially).

Believe me when I say that DC2 (due in 6 weeks) will be weaned as late as possible. It was the most excruciatingly awful bit of having a baby so far. The cooking, the rejection of the food, the clearing up... Sooooo much work!!!

Admittedly he's a decent eater now and a brute on the 97th centile but I certainly don't attribute any of that to those early months of 'weaning'!

Good luck!

Feelingsolow12345 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:20:40

I think I'm going to give it ago if he doesn't like it then give it another month.

BertrandRussell Sat 18-Jun-16 15:14:11

You haven't said how old he is?

But if a baby isn't gaining weight you need to give him milk- not fruit that is much lower in calories and will fill him up so he takes less milk .

WellErrr Sat 18-Jun-16 15:46:12

Fruit will not put weight on him. Milk will.

How old is he!?

Timetogrowup2016 Sat 18-Jun-16 15:58:07

Fruit won't help baby put on weight.
He will then take less milk to which is not what you want to happen.

bittapitta Sat 18-Jun-16 16:00:05

Please talk to your GP not HV. Don't start your child on solids before 6 months without proper medical advice (HV reasoning spurious!)

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 18-Jun-16 16:07:56

My Dd was 5 and a bit months, but I only started weaning her after being advised by a health visitor, my gp and a paediatrician because she had awful acid reflux. If I hadn't had a medical opinion on the issue, then I never ever would have gone ahead and done it before 6 months.
It's something to do with part of the digestive system maturing. This change that enables babies to tolerate solid food takes place somewhere between 4 and 6 months, (not before 4 months, but definitely by 6 months) but no one knows exactly when it happens in each baby - so leaving it until 6 months just ensures your baby's digestive system is ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now