What to do about bratty DS 9 behaviour?

(6 Posts)
Bigbadgladioli Tue 14-Jun-16 14:18:43

I have 2 DS, 6 and 9.

The older one has been taking part in some tennis lessons organised between his school and a local tennis club. This has never been done before and so is a real privilege for the kids taking part and will hopefully lead to greater links between the school and the club.

For the most part all the kids seem to be having a great time. But there are a few boys who just seem to have an ill will against the club.

They ignore the coaches, fight amongst themselves and when they think they are unobserved lob as many balls as they can into the neighbouring gardens.

I had spoken to my son (who was among those misbehaving) about this and thought I had got through to him. However, yesterday, I discovered through my younger son that someone had put tennis balls into the toilet in the clubhouse. He told me he had removed them so he could go to the toilet.

When I asked the older one about this it was just so obvious that he knew all about it. And he admitted quite quickly that it was him and another boy.

I am so angry and puzzled by this brattish, spoilt behaviour. I suppose I am asking what would you do?

Seeline Tue 14-Jun-16 14:20:42

MAke him write a letter of apology to the coach and the club.
stop him from attending further lessons, and any similar events until he can show you that he can behave properly.

Bigbadgladioli Tue 14-Jun-16 14:22:13

Thank you, Seeline. That is it.

TeaBelle Tue 14-Jun-16 14:23:11

I'm a fan of natural consequence so would choose some or all of:
Apology to whoever has to clean up his mess in the toilet and the coached to whom he has been rude
Payment made to yourself in chored for any money you need to pay for damage caused
Inability to go to lessons without you as a supervisor as clearly he can't be trusted. If this isn't practical then stopping him attending fullk stop
Letter to the headteacher apologising for embarrassing the school

TeaBelle Tue 14-Jun-16 14:23:41

* chores

Bigbadgladioli Tue 14-Jun-16 14:24:50

TeaBelle, yes. I like that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now